1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Nearly 4 years now, or more.

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't believe I ever officially wrote a success story here. I do have mine on my profile page though, always have since I became a member here at tmswiki.
    I just thought 4 years later now would be a good time to give an update.
    I'm 44 years young now and I thank God daily for the wisdom that led to my healing. After 25 years of pain I never believed a healing would take place but it did and I'm still awestruck by how it happened. It was gradual and at once, can I explain?
    It took at a minimum of six months as I remember before I officially said I was healed from crippling back pain, shoulder pain, neck pain, feet pain. Just think somewhere with pain and I had had it for years, was getting it or never knew you wasn't supposed to hurt there.
    But, there was that one night. I'll never ever forget. After months of study - learning how my mind actually did create lines of healing energy through my brain to wherever my pain was, I actually felt this awful pain in my lower back leave instantly, and it was by my thought. I was mentally controlling that pain out of my back through energy in my neural pathways.
    I felt the pain and it was like immediately I took over that pain with my own thinking and it stopped. From that moment on, any pain, anywhere I have been able to control out of my body. Not always like that night but by not fearing the pain or focusing on it.
    I am in control of my mind chatter, I do know how to feel my emotions and not repress them, I do all that like a second nature.
    Here I am, still amazed it happened. It's true. You can heal and stay healed. The answers are here, in the books and on the tapes guys.
    Oh, and the "or more" meaning in my title, I never counted the time, till this day I never have. I just guesstimated.
    Bless you.

2. healing26

healing26 New Member

Thank you for sharing. I am new to all of this and stories like yours giveme hope. :)

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Herbie,
    Thanks for sharing this. It confirms for others that the approach works. Your example shows there was patience and genuine hard work and study.
    Andy B

4. SME61

SME61 Peer Supporter

Hi Herbie
    Wow this is encouraging!
    I am trying to get to where you are, but it's been tough.
    Any hints or thoughts?
    See below....

(I posted my request for advice yesterday here):

This will be a fairly long post, so please accept my sincere thanks in advance.

Background
    Diagnosed with L5/S1 disc herniation through MRI
    July 2015 could not walk more than 100 feet without severe pain for 6 weeks.
    Start physical therapy in July 2015 and can walk in August 2015, but still burning pain down Leg constant 6-7 on pain scale.
    Have epidural steroid injection in Sept and Dec 2015 helps a bit but pain and burning continues.
    Start with a chiropractor in November 2015 and spinal decompression makes things worse, so stop after 2 months.
    Try 5 sessions of accupuncture no relief. Doing lots of core strengthening daily.
    Jan 2016 until June 2016 begin seeing a psychologist and dealing with issues. Find out about Dr. Sarno and see Dr. Paul Gowzdz August 2016 TMS diagnosis confirmed!

I begin accepting TMS/MBS and pain dissappates at times, but is usually present. Sometimes only a 1-3 on pain scale or less.

Working the SEP now (since August), but still fairly obsessed with pain when it comes on which is often. In working with psychologist discover that I am very stressed about childhood, when I discuss it I just cry and cry this has happened 2-3 times.

Strange thing happens when I travel and visit my dad who now has stage 4 cancer and stay at my sister's house. I have gone 5-7 days with no pain at all recently! As soon as I return home the pain begins and ramps up again!

My psychologist tells me I am making very good progress, as I am getting in touch with my inner child. I also run one mile a day now.

So what gives?
    I still have burning pain in my Leg off and on most of the day and sometimes in my Butt (Piriformis syndrome). When the pain comes my mind just runs with it and I worry I will have it forever. Of course, I am telling myself and talking to my brain about my stressors and that seems to help and then the pain comes on again.

I an trying to be patient and kind to myself and deal with my emotional turmoil and apply Sarno' s techniques and meditate twice a day as well.

So, I am really not sure what to do and when this will end, I think there's proof enough that it is TMS/MBS. How long can this go on?

Thanks for reading this, any advice or similar stories of those that gave overcome this would help!

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Don't worry about time, that's a wrong way approach. Remember, worry, that action doesn't help. Worry is just stressing and that leads to pain.
    It will take the work in the SEP, Sarnos Reminders, Your meditations, loosing any fear or anger or worry and learning to be at peace with your emotions when you do stress cause occasionally you will.
    Act, don't react to life's circumstances. Think psychological about your pain.
    Be at peace with what is and what will be.
    Love yourself just as you are.
    Get rid of the guilt and blame you might be putting on yourself.
    This is just a list. There's more but let all this sink in through actual daily practice and living in the now in peace as much as you can.
    Repeat always, be playful and stop being so serious all the time. Get out more and do whatever it is you've been wanting to do but have been holding back on. Be you.
    Bless you

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  6. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Good to see you on the forum more often in recent weeks Eric. Many have expressed that you were missed.

Forest and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Thank you lavender. Bless you.

8. Misha

Misha Peer Supporter

Hi @Eric "Herbie" Watson

I always enjoy reading your posts, thank you :)

I was wondering if you could elaborate on what you said about having learned to not repress your emotions? How exactly were you repressing your emotions? Perhaps you could give me some examples.

9. Eric "Herbie" Watson

When I feel anxiety, anger, fear, grief, etc.... I just feel it in my body, my chest, my legs, my head without trying to ignore the emotion. The emotion which creates the feeling is what you want to feel and be at peace with, don't label it or become one with that emotion. Just know it's there, feel it in your body, acknowledge it's there and be at peace with the feeling instead of trying to ignore it. This way you face the emotion that creates a feeling. Don't think you have to be sad just cause you feel sad, you can but if no reason is there, then why?
    In this way we don't repress our emotions, we learn a new way to think of them and we heal.
    Peace.

10. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Hi Herbie

You were my hero when I was in a very bad place with my TMS, looking back I've come such a long way. I'm not totally free of it yet I still get migraines when I'm under a lot of stress. Just had a bit of a relapse, we've just had to put my mum into a care home and she's very distressed, she has Alzheimer. You can imagine the mix of emotions I'm dealing with, it's been so hard. I'm journaling a lot, meditating and swimming. Onwards and upwards !

God bless you :joyful:

11. Lavender

Hello Mermaid. Good to see you on the forum again So sorry about the circumstances with your mother's situation. Many of us understand how hard it is to deal with.

12. Mermaid

Hi Lavender

Nice to hear from you! It would be great if we didn't need the forum any more
    I had the worst migraine of my life last night. I feel like I'm dying of stress. We're supposed to be bringing my mum and dad to our place for Christmas day, and I just can't cope with what the thought of it is doing to me. Added to that I'm under a lot of pressure at work. I've always resisted therapy, but I don't think I've any option now.
    How are you doing now?

13. Lavender

Hi Mermaid. Have you seen AndyB's post today about Christmas stress? And yes, I can certainly understand the apprehension you have, what with your mother's health.
    Funny thing though, ( at least in my experience) it seems that after it is over and we look back on it, the day was never as bad as we'd imagined it would be. At least in my adult life, Christmas celebrations present a whole new set of issues, but nothing compared to my childhood. Now that makes me shiver so I try not to look back.
    Hugs to you!

14. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Thank you Mermaid. You still are my hero. I remember your enthusiasm. I'm sorry about your mother, stay on course with your journaling, mediations, and swimming. Those are good for you so you can stay strong for her.
    That's where to look and feel your emotions too, those emotions that hurt when you see her and you do your best to look strong for her, those emotions dear will eventually have to be felt too.
    Are you feeling the emotions, if not then that's a great addition to your protocol.
    I felt these emotions with my mother. At the time I'd never heard of feeling emotions. My main emotion was helplessness at the time, although I think it's better not to name or label those emotions, gets to technical. We can just feel them and not react in a helpless way to them.
    I hope this helps.
    Bless you.

Ps. The migraines, well that's the pain we suffer for stress. It is the same for me, if I worry then I get a migraine. Working back to the peace, light and gratitude is very important here. We don't have to work for that really. All we have to do is think and be peaceful. Be in the light. It's just really hard sometimes.
    Sarno said we will have a little pain from time to time. I figured what he was talking about was a stress headache and other pains that pass.
    Migraines always have been a mystery to me.
    They come and go. Tms usually sets in and stays. Although I still agree that migraines are stress or tms related.

Mermaid likes this.
  15. Mermaid

Hi Herbie
    You always make me feel better
    I get migraine when I'm overwhelmed. All my other TMS stuff has gone except for this, which is the absolute worst. I'm stuck in a cycle of fearing an attack, getting anxious, so making it happen.
    I can't seem to get a quiet spell in my life to calm things down. Bad stuff keeps happening to stress me out. I'm at the end of my rope at the moment.
    I never had a migraine until I was in my 40's. I can be OK for months, then wham!!! I get one almost daily. It's so not fair. Sorry for the rant, but I feel really low just now.

16. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

@Mermaid I'm so very sorry to hear that you are suffering. I know the pain of migraines and it is immense. I hope Herbie can find some words to help make you feel better.

I can only tell you that I care about you, and hope you find some relief soon. This, too, shall pass, dear one.

Mermaid likes this.
  17. Lavender

Hi Mermaid, I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing them and hope they vanish completely.
    How was your Christmas? I remember that you were anticipating the difficulties of getting through it what with your Mom's health issues.

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Mermaid like this.
  18. Mermaid

Hi Lavender,
    Thank you so much for your concern, it means a lot to me. I hope you're doing OK yourself.
    Christmas was a bit of a nightmare. I should have put my foot down with my dad and not brought mum out of the care home, it was way too much for her. She didn't know what was going on, and it really unsettled her. No prizes for guessing why my TMS flaring up.
    2017 is going to be all about me. I can't go on trying to live everyone else's lives for them.

19. Mermaid

Hi Ellen
    Thanks for your kind words. It's good to know that there's someone who understands what it's like for me.
    I hope you're doing OK and had a Google Christmas.

20. Mithrandir

Mithrandir New Member

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading your story.