beachgirl
Peer Supporter
Hello from Long Island, I just found this wiki last week and am so relieved! I'm having awful trouble with symptoms and hoping to get help on the Wiki and get anyone's ideas who would be able to share. I am having so much trouble with my current condition
. I have recently experienced rapid hair loss, which started a few months ago and It is very frightening. My doctor said it is stress related and also related to iron deficiency which they found when they tested my blood and based on the fact that the hair loss came on so suddenly as is the case with hair loss related to stress and iron deficiency. They said this was very common with women who have levels of iron as low as mine and put me on high doses of iron supplements which I started many weeks ago. The DR said it will stop soon and there is no permanent damage in my scalp and my hair will grow back. Unfortunately the hair loss continues and has me obsessed, miserable and frightened. I look terrible and have isolated myself for the past few months because I am so uncomfortable and upset about how I look.
Soon after my hair issue began, I suspected TMS. Many years ago I had debilitating back pain for a year and was lead to Dr Sarno who I saw and I was and have been cured for many years ever since. That recovery wasn't easy, I read and studied his books for months and continue to use them for other conditions to this day. I am a true believer of TMS theory as well as a classic TMS person, many different types of physical symptoms, lots of repressed emotions and relief upon reading TMS literature.
Besides having a belief in TMS and a history of symptoms, the timing of this onset seems very suspicious. I also suffer from bad anxiety and finally decided to try new antidepressants to resolve the anxiety after suffering with it for many years (my whole life). I was on one med, but it hasn't worked so well but lived with it for years for fear of changing. Changing meds, trying a new one was a BIG DEAL, finally I thought I would be cured of the anxiety that ruined my entire life. I started the meds with much promise and to my horror, within less than a week of taking them my hair started to rapidly fall out. One week I had very thick hair, the next I could see my scalp showing all over. I googled antidepressant and hair loss and more horror to find out many other women experienced hair loss from them. I immediately stopped the meds after taking them only a couple weeks was but still my hair continues to get rapidly and frighteningly thin three months later.
I read Sarno say many times the 'symptom imperative' will just pick something else if you treat one symptom such as like anxiety like I did and he even says if you take an antidepressant to solve your emotional TMS aka anxiety, the symptom imperative will go back and give you a new or,different physical symptom. I also suffered from a life-long eating disorder which I finally got under control last year. The eating disorder controlled my every thought, every waking moment. It was a complete constant battle like the anxiety and now my hair. and the results are exactly the same from all three disorders, eating, anxiety and hair loss, I have terrible shame over each, dont want to leave the house or be with people, am completely obsessed and all three have ruled my entire waking moments and ruined my self esteem and left me with an incredibly limited life - each disorder in its own way. It makes perfect sense that once I conquered these two major disorders, food first last year and now anxiety that my mind would find something else. maybe hairloss?
Currently I am under immense stress. I have been recently unemployed as an exec assistant in NYC and just ran out of all my savings and having no luck finding any type of work. The fear is so terrible, I lie awake at night feeling like I could die from it. I am on my own with no family to help me and no means to support myself. That makes the hair problem all the worse since I need to get a job and am so embarrassed and afraid to be around people. Just trying to look normal in the morning is an awful ordeal trying to deal with an awful hair mess and knowing I don't look good no matter what I try. It is easy to see how this stress would lead anyone's hair to fall out. However this is not the first time I've had such stress. I have suffered so much family and personal crisis in the past years, as bad as my current situation is, this is not the first time I have been under so much stress. I can only come back to the timing in this which is days after I thought my anxiety disorder was finally solved with the antidepressant something else, a new problem which ismthe hair loss , came up - more TMS.
Even after saying all that I am not fully convinced. I still live in constant fear and obsession of my symptoms and since it is such an unusual symptom it's hard to see it as TMS. A pain syndrome yes, but hair loss?! It's so bizarre I have a hard time grasping onto it. Since my sick mind can't cure my own sick mind I am hoping for your input on the wiki to set me straight and convince me. Somehow when other people say it the impact is alot greater so please chime in. Even if you see this months later please see me what your think. I am truly scared and desperate for this to resolve. I have no life now and I want my normal life back. Help help and HELP! Thanks for reading!!
Soon after my hair issue began, I suspected TMS. Many years ago I had debilitating back pain for a year and was lead to Dr Sarno who I saw and I was and have been cured for many years ever since. That recovery wasn't easy, I read and studied his books for months and continue to use them for other conditions to this day. I am a true believer of TMS theory as well as a classic TMS person, many different types of physical symptoms, lots of repressed emotions and relief upon reading TMS literature.
Besides having a belief in TMS and a history of symptoms, the timing of this onset seems very suspicious. I also suffer from bad anxiety and finally decided to try new antidepressants to resolve the anxiety after suffering with it for many years (my whole life). I was on one med, but it hasn't worked so well but lived with it for years for fear of changing. Changing meds, trying a new one was a BIG DEAL, finally I thought I would be cured of the anxiety that ruined my entire life. I started the meds with much promise and to my horror, within less than a week of taking them my hair started to rapidly fall out. One week I had very thick hair, the next I could see my scalp showing all over. I googled antidepressant and hair loss and more horror to find out many other women experienced hair loss from them. I immediately stopped the meds after taking them only a couple weeks was but still my hair continues to get rapidly and frighteningly thin three months later.
I read Sarno say many times the 'symptom imperative' will just pick something else if you treat one symptom such as like anxiety like I did and he even says if you take an antidepressant to solve your emotional TMS aka anxiety, the symptom imperative will go back and give you a new or,different physical symptom. I also suffered from a life-long eating disorder which I finally got under control last year. The eating disorder controlled my every thought, every waking moment. It was a complete constant battle like the anxiety and now my hair. and the results are exactly the same from all three disorders, eating, anxiety and hair loss, I have terrible shame over each, dont want to leave the house or be with people, am completely obsessed and all three have ruled my entire waking moments and ruined my self esteem and left me with an incredibly limited life - each disorder in its own way. It makes perfect sense that once I conquered these two major disorders, food first last year and now anxiety that my mind would find something else. maybe hairloss?
Currently I am under immense stress. I have been recently unemployed as an exec assistant in NYC and just ran out of all my savings and having no luck finding any type of work. The fear is so terrible, I lie awake at night feeling like I could die from it. I am on my own with no family to help me and no means to support myself. That makes the hair problem all the worse since I need to get a job and am so embarrassed and afraid to be around people. Just trying to look normal in the morning is an awful ordeal trying to deal with an awful hair mess and knowing I don't look good no matter what I try. It is easy to see how this stress would lead anyone's hair to fall out. However this is not the first time I've had such stress. I have suffered so much family and personal crisis in the past years, as bad as my current situation is, this is not the first time I have been under so much stress. I can only come back to the timing in this which is days after I thought my anxiety disorder was finally solved with the antidepressant something else, a new problem which ismthe hair loss , came up - more TMS.
Even after saying all that I am not fully convinced. I still live in constant fear and obsession of my symptoms and since it is such an unusual symptom it's hard to see it as TMS. A pain syndrome yes, but hair loss?! It's so bizarre I have a hard time grasping onto it. Since my sick mind can't cure my own sick mind I am hoping for your input on the wiki to set me straight and convince me. Somehow when other people say it the impact is alot greater so please chime in. Even if you see this months later please see me what your think. I am truly scared and desperate for this to resolve. I have no life now and I want my normal life back. Help help and HELP! Thanks for reading!!