1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Nagging Doubts - HELP!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Aziz, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Aziz

Aziz Peer Supporter

I've read Sarno's Mind-Body Prescription several times, and I accept the existence of TMS. It makes a lot of sense to me. Here's my challenge...

I definitely have TMS pain (neck, upper back, shoulders, jaw, etc.)... BUT, all my pain started when I was 15 in my sacro-iliac joints, hips, and low back.

When I was 19 I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis (an auto-immune condition).

I currently question this diagnosis. There were no biological markers or tests done, it was just based on symptoms.

BUT, Sarno says something in his books about how auto-immune disorders are not ENTIRELY caused by repressed emotions.

Basically, I want to believe that all of my pain is TMS related. But that damn auto-immune diagnosis keeps creating doubt in my mind.

Any others who have overcome a supposed "auto-immune" condition?

Thanks!!

hecate105 likes this.
  2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

So many dis-eases in the body are not fully understood by doctors. If I were you I would proceed in the TMS work and see what happens. If symptoms disappear/change that were attributed to the AS, then yes - it is all TMS. If not, you still need to deal with ALL your symptoms by doing the TMS work. If you are left with intractable symptoms that ARE attributable to the AS then, and only then, you will have to accept the diagnosis. BUT the important thing is to deal with what you have in the best way possible. Treat yourself as an experiment - see what transpires when you wholeheartedly undertake the Structured Educational Programme or Recovery Programme on this site. Do the work diligently and you will work through your issues and in time get rid of your TMS symptoms. Then life will be so much better... Good luck.

Ellen, Aziz and yb44 like this.
  3. Aziz

Aziz Peer Supporter

This makes a lot of sense. Thank you!!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm not a doctor but also suggest you spend some time with the TMS theory and look into any
    repressed emotions that may very well be causing your auto-immune condition.

Aziz likes this.
  5. Aziz

Aziz Peer Supporter

I thought I'd comment on this, in case anyone is struggling with an Ankylosing Spondylitis diagnosis and looking for help...

It's 4 years later. Wow. I've cured EVERY single form of TMS (except one - see below). No pain in my neck, jaw, upper back, wrists, ankles, feet.

I'm running 3-4 days a week. Strength training 4 days a week with heavy weights. And recently Muay Thai kick-boxing 2 days a week. I am a beast : )

Now I'm turning my attention to the last bastion of the TMS pain - it's final stronghold - pain in my low back and buttock. For 15 years I told myself this pain was due to an autoimmune condition called Ankylosing Spondylitis.

I now see through this. I am bringing my full power of knowledge therapy and healing that has worked on so many other TMS manifestations to this one.

I am reducing the Enbrel medication I take, 1/10th of a dose per week. I got all my TMS books out.

I shall emerge victorious.

I'll post again when that has occurred : )

6. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm so pleased for you Aziz! I know (as do many people on this forum) how hard it is to undertake the tms recovery journey. It takes you through the wringer - but is worth it in the end. I am sure you will be victorious over your last symptom. I still take time to meditate, read this forum and always 'think psychological' whenever ANY pain or symptom arrives. I know darned well that almost every pain that ever comes - it tms, so i call it out, look for my 'triggers' (usually family...!) then i get on with my life.
    Which this year meant cycling 1000 miles across Spain on the old pilgrim tracks - not bad for an old lady who was in a wheelchair a few years ago!
    You go for it - literally 'kick' it into shape!:D

7. srton

srton Well known member

What an inspiring post @Aziz and @hecate105 its been amazingly helpful to read others' accounts of healing on this forum!
    Thank you for sharing!

hecate105 likes this.