1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

myofascial pain ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mbo, Jul 31, 2017.

1. mbo

mbo Well known member

hi there!

my son is plagued (3 years) with some kind of myofascial pain / RSI in his arms (mainly right) and upper back. He can note, and hear, his muscular fibers scratching against each other after any effort.
    He has tried all kind of therapies with no success and ruled out any serious disease. Hi has read "all" the literature about TMS and he is full convinced that is one more victim of such syndrome .... but the pain persists and his day-to-day is a little bit devastating.

I beg, from your vast experience, any kind of suggestion, advice, recommendation, .... whatever to help my beloved son.

Thamks a lot !!!!!

MBO

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

hi mbo,
    Both his arms and upper back? That sounds very much like TMS to me, but I have difficulty understanding the 'muscular fibers scratching against each other'. That said, I have had the weirdest sensations over the years.
    Is there a reason that you are reaching out and not he?
    Did he do any work on himself or did he only read the literature? For example, did he make an evidence list of peculiar changes in his symptoms?
    Is visiting a tms-practicioner an option for you?
    take care!

Ellen likes this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

4. mbo

mbo Well known member

Thanks Gigalos !

almost always mainly wright forearm, upper back and (sometimes) low back. In the forearm you could hear noises that seem the result of rubbing muscular fibers. Weird.
    Sure: it is TMS. He has got the diagnosis from a couple of recognized experts .... along the advice "stop gathering information .... you just have to achieve a deeper unsderstanding of that phenomenon".
    Meanwhile the pain persists, he is perplexed .... and I 'm trying to "connect dots". Exhausting task.

5. mbo

mbo Well known member

6. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, if he has seen a couple of experts already, I don't know what to advise.
    I find it pretty difficult to get a sense of the situation, because you and not your son is asking for help. Why is that if I may ask? Maybe it is important, maybe it is not.
    Achieving a deeper understanding can only occur when you do the homework. Seldom a person reads a TMS book and is cured the next day. That is because most of us first need to experience those moments of change in our symptoms; the more often we experience them, the more anxiety we loose and the more we automatically trust the fact that symptoms will go away. We may need to dig a little deeper in what kind of emotions reside in us that we repress and talk with a psychologist about it. Those emotions of guilt, anger, sadness, etc. can be strong and may need to be dealt with before you can make real progress. So, therefore again my question, did he do any work on himself besides reading literature??

7. mbo

mbo Well known member

Thanks again, Gigalos.

I have sent you a PM.