1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 My treatment so far

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by AdamJensen, May 8, 2016.

1. AdamJensen

AdamJensen New Member

My treatment so far has been partially successful, over the course of the last year. I first found Sarno about a year ago. Since then, I read his books many times.

I also read many tangentially related books and tried other methods of psychological self-discovery.

I am definitely the type who tries too hard to defeat TMS and ends up doing self-defeating things. For instance, last year rather than researching and finding the tmswiki online, I read a book by a psychologist with no knowledge of TMS and did 50,000 words of reactive journaling in response to sentence stems at a low cognitive level, in a very preoccupied, activated state. I think it assisted me in accepting the diagnosis. However, I would have been better off if I did the SEP slowly and surely and did not get off track. At first I did not even look for online TMS/PPD resources and now I am sad about that.

I tried seeing one TMS therapist, and did not get the feeling that it was an efficient use of time. I reached out to the Pain Psychology center to see if someone there can assist me more. I am very hopeful for that.

It's been a difficult ~10 years, and I am 23 years old. I'm grateful to interact with the SEP as a resource for learning long-form journaling techniques.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Adam. You are doing yourself a very big favor by looking at this web site and doing the SEProgram. It will help you to discover the emotions causing your pain. You have been resisting TMS belief, but accepting TMS totally is crucial in healing. You are wonderfully young and have many healthy, happy years ahead of you. I am 85 and did not learn about Dr. Sarno and TMS until two years ago when I began having severe back pain. I discovered through journaling in the SEProgram that I had been repressing anger since my boyhood when my parents divorced when I was seven. Your pain may very well be from your personality being a perfectionist or goodist person, or wanting things to happen too fast. My best friend was a perfectionist and very impatient for success in his job. He didn't learn to modify either his perfectionism or impatience and remained an unhappy fellow. You can change your life around, but it will take 100 percent belief in TMS emotions causing your pain.