1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

my TMS Is being vengeful any advice its much needed!!!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Saoirse, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Saoirse

Saoirse Peer Supporter

Hi all just thought I put this out there to get some feedback back that will give me positive vibes. I am at the end of the second week and I was ok certainly upbeat and the pain had seemed more manageable ,less painkillers.
    Then 3 days ago I woke up and my old neck pain one of about 6 sites in my back that have history was really biting,very painful and stiff. I was debilitated and have continued to be quiet anxious and overwhelmed at times with its acuteness with both shoulders painful big time this morning as well as the neck. I also was so ill the last two days with IBS such cramps and constipation. I just thought really you git and I have been talking to my mind and trying not to be so afraid and to be dismissive of it but today I have been in acute sever pain on my chest its a pain that developed after my mam dies three years ago and it comes and goes but its so bad I originally went to the doctor as I thought it was my heart; acute pain and a pressure on my breastbone near my heart. It just seems that the kitchen sink is being thrown at me and its all a bit much I just wanna lie doen and give in and do nothing but hot water bottles but I have to work and in my job I have to smile and be happy all bloody day when I just want to snap. Any much needed advice????

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Saoirse,

I am sorry you're having all this together right now. For many people, maybe most, the TMS journey in healing is not linear, or apparently smoothly progressive. For instance, there can be an increase in symptoms as you engage a program like the SEP. We actually see this frequently on the Forum, with people who eventually are quite successful. One reason theorized is that the emotional stuff which is normally less conscious is coming into consciousness. This means TMS symptoms get revved up in order to provide more distraction. I hope this reassures you that your experience is common and OK. Even though it is unpleasant.

The TMS Recovery Program recommends developing "outcome independence" which means you proceed with your TMS practices and focus on how well you are doing this, rather than measuring success by increase or decrease of symptoms. If it is helpful, you can always stop the SEP, and do all or parts of the TMS Recovery Program, to absorb some important "stances" to develop over time.

I suggest you hang in there and simply name these symptoms as TMS. Many people feel that TMS, it's existence in us, or its increasing activity makes us a failure. This is an error in thinking. What if you said: "I know this is TMS, and I have this common human condition. So what?" What I am saying is part of what fuels TMS symptoms is fear that we can't make it go away, and thinking about it to much. Name it, ignore it (as best you can), and don't measure your progress by symptoms!

Andy B

Saoirse likes this.