1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 19 My thoughts on today!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by JacketSpud, Nov 5, 2015.

1. JacketSpud

JacketSpud Peer Supporter

Today on the SEP the education part was about fear. I have read over and over in the books and on the websites that it's important to start doing activities we have been scared to do. It seems that by doing so we kind of prove to the brain that we know the pain isn't structural and isn't doing us any harm. I've actually never stopped doing any activities at all. My pain is all in my neck and left side of my head so even when I believed this to be structural, there was nothing I felt I was unable to do. In the evenings I would go to bed early and cry myself to sleep because I just didn't want to live this way, doing everything while in pain, for the rest of my life, but now I've realized that my future isn't so dismal, I've quit the crying and defeatist attitude, but I can't re-start activities I've been too scared to do because there are none.

Ooooooh, actually, I've just realized that is not 100% true, I've often wondered if going on a trampoline would make me feel worse - but since I haven't jumped on a trampoline since childhood, it wasn't something I was actively avoiding. Maybe I should go find myself a trampoline to try it out!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, JacketSpud. I'd think twice about jumping on a trampoline. Even kids get hurt on them. You must have a hidden fear about that, so why tempt fate? Leave trampolines to kids.

I'm glad to hear you don't cry yourself to sleep anymore or feel defeatist. Be positive and tell yourself some positive mantras. I still use the old one:
    "Every day in every way I'm feeling better and better." And a newer one: "I can do this. It's a piece of cake."

JacketSpud likes this.
  3. JacketSpud

JacketSpud Peer Supporter

LOL - I hear you on the trampoline. Maybe I'll give it a miss!