1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

My thoughts on "TMS Doctors/therapists"

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by riv44, Sep 16, 2015.

1. riv44

riv44 Well known member

Treatment providers have to assess the whole person. I think that if a provider is informed and open to the diagnosis, it will be helpful. But they still need to rule out other medical possibilities. It's the same with therapy. I couldn't just treat someone for TMS because they say they have TMS. I have to figure out the dynamics of the person.

It's sort of like in the addiction recovery world. Some people say they can only be treated by an addictions counselor who is in recovery. A broader view would too seek a competent therapist who is experienced with a range of issues.

Also, I doubt that there is one kind of therapy for each problem. Not everyone does well with short-term dynamic intensive analysis. Some people do better with different modes.

In my opinion, the SEP is a framework, and a good one, but not the only process possible for recovering from pain.

I now pay much more attention to what people report about their physical symptoms.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, riv. I also think we can learn a lot from other people who recovered from TMS. The more we know about their healing process the better and more helpful it is to others. Some have healed after discovering hidden anger emotions, others from their perectionist or "goodist" personality.

I had an anxiety attack years ago and went to a psychiatrist but he was of no help. I wish back then that I had known about TMS. It was the gateway to healing me of years of back pain and emotional distress. The more we know about ourselves, the better. The more doctors and TMS therapists know about us, through our candor with them, the more helpful they can be.

BruceMC likes this.
  3. riv44

riv44 Well known member

...and for some it is Mindfulness therapies? Some people do tapping? Some people do EMDR. Some people do cognitive behavioral therapies. Some do psychonanalytic (this is where Sarno turned.) I think it's most important to find someone we click with and doesn't discount our experience.

SunnyinFL likes this.
  4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Agreed, its not only about buying into and accepting the methodology and tool (EDMR, ISTDP etc) but rather the ability to be able to have a strong and nurturing relationship with the healthcare provider whom you have put your trust into.

SunnyinFL likes this.