1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 My Story

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by John Galt, Apr 22, 2014.

1. John Galt

John Galt New Member

Hello everyone, where do I begin. It started with a workplace injury on December 29th, 2013. I am 28 years old, and I have been working as a paramedic for 4 years. I was lifting a patient from the ground to the stretcher when the patient made a sudden move, which forced me off my balance. In my effort to compensate, I tweaked my lower back. I didn't think too much of it at first, but when the pain lingered for many days, I decided that I should take some time off work to allow my back to heal. I took 8 weeks on light administrative duties, and then 4 weeks of work hardening riding as a third medic on a truck. After the 12 weeks with considerable improvement, I decided to return to full duties. During this entire period of time, I was seeing a chiropractor twice per week and having massage once per week. I also did some cold laser therapy during this time period. My MRI showed that I have Schnorl's nodes in several of my lumbar vertebrae, but all of my doctors have told me that these are asymptomatic abnormalities. There were no disc herniation or bulges, and my SI joint did not show any disfunction. My chiropractor told me that the pain was due to my SI joint being locked up. Despite being back at full duties, I still felt some pain and stiffness, and was in constant fear of re-injury. Two weeks ago, I read Dr Sarno's book, Healing Back Pain, and I did notice some improvement in my symptoms. Since then, I have decided to stop all physical treatment. However, sometimes I still have doubts about the TMS diagnosis. Whenever I think about my back injury, or about the possibility of having to change careers, or anything stressful, I notice that my back pain/stiffness feels worse. This indicates to me that there is some mental aspect to my pain. I decided to try the 42 day program to help reinforce the TMS diagnosis, and hopefully resolve this back issue once and for all. Thanks for listening to my story.

2. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

It will take time to heal, just don't try to rush or fix it quick. Just enjoy life and live in the moment each day. I'm a perfectionist and wanted to do things right and expect a quick fix. When things wouldn't get better i would get down. Just stay course and have the strength to persevere. If you do have tms you have to fully believe and accept that your pain is caused by your repressed emotions. It takes time to change the fears and doubts you are having in your mind but just read sarno 12 daily reminders each day and let them sink in. The fear you are having is fueling the tms, if you can learn some affirmations, mediation, and maybe get Claire weekes book, these all will help you overcome the fear. Just keep working through the SEP and know that you do have the power to overcome tms. Goodluck

Ryan

nowtimecoach likes this.
  3. nowtimecoach

nowtimecoach Well known member

Welcome to the SEP! It has done wonders for me in my TMS recovery and I've learned more about myself in this program than all my therapy put together. Well maybe that is an overstatement but I promise that you'll come out of this with some pain and symptom relief, a new found knowledge of yourself and great friends here on the forum!welcomea

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

John, your work as a paramedic takes you on the front line of a lot of human misery.
    I was there for years as a reporter covering police stories for the Chicago Tribune.

I tried taking the advice of a journalism professor who told his students that, when they
    would be a reporter, to "assume an attitude of detached studiousness."

I had trouble distancing myself from the violence I covered. Maybe you are having that
    problem being a paramedic. Or else, something recent may have triggered some repressed
    emotions that may go back to your childhood.

I'm not a doctor, but even if you have been told you have some structural abnormalities,
    I think your condition is caused by TMS, repressed emotions or if you have it, your perfectionist personality.

Keep working on the Structured Education Program, journaling, and you'll tell your success story here soon.