1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

My story.. advice/comments welcome

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by cammb33, Dec 21, 2021.

1. cammb33

cammb33 New Member

I’ll keep it as short as possible. So I lived with a really horrible pain upper buttocks that radiated into legs and at times would make me walk with a limp and cause excruciating pain. This would last for maybe a few days to a week and would go away. Had this for about 15 years.
    Last year they incidentally found a herniated disc in lower back while looking at kidneys for something else. After living with the pain for a long time i opted to have surgery. This is the biggest regret of my life as symptoms were made worse and I think I Even herniated a different disc during recovery from the way I was bending over. The original herniated disc is actually still there. I refuse to get another surgery. So I said to myself the only person who’s gonna help me is myself.
    I finally came across Dr Sarno and this forum. I wish I had found all this before going under the knife as I fit the TMS personality to a T. The last few months I have tamed a lot of the pain but some is still there. I can’t believe this could actually be working and I even find myself preaching the TMS way to others in my family who live with pain conditions.
    The pain that is still there is from what I believe is the new herniated disc. I seemed to have stopped pain from original herniated disc though.
    I am doing a lot of physical activities that prior to finding out about TMS I was disabled in my mind and I wouldn’t dare try these activities.
    So I’m excited that this could really be working,still skeptical at times. I’ve read healing back pain, mind body prescription and unlearn your pain and of course am on this forum a lot.
    I regret having surgery and am so mad at myself and wish everyday I found this before but it is what it is at this point. But it’s like who was gonna tell me about TMS. We’re programmed to believe all pain is a medical issue and needs to be dealt with PT ,pills or surgery. It’s unfair but I’m here now and pray that I only get better! What I tell family and friends in regards to TMS is that something seems to be working for me pain wise. I can’t imagine what my life would be like if I found this before I had surgery.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  2. Bitzalel Brown

Bitzalel Brown Peer Supporter

Camm
    You have come a long way in your TMS journey and like many of us in this forum becoming the family preacher is part of the healing process. The other common frustrating issue that most TMS
    's suffer from is lingering or some percentage of residual pain that our subconscious has us still believing "its really a medical issue". This usually takes another level of TMS work to resolve and it will improve with journaling , somatic work and getting to your deep seated rage or fear that continues to linger in your life.

cammb33 likes this.
  3. cammb33

cammb33 New Member

Thank you for your response. I will definitely give all those a shot!

4. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Good job coming so far Cammb!

The very first thing you may consider is to put your mind at ease regarding your herniated discs. Take a look these two short videos I produced on pain facts most doctors do not tell you, including the fact the back surgery has only a 1% success rate.
    https://www.fredamir.com/painfacts

You may also find the information I share in this interview with Dr. Dan Ratner helpful.

Y
    ou are on your way to living pain- free again.