1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

My sleepless nights.. Day 9

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Lina78, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Lina78

Lina78 Newcomer

I would like to talk about my bad nights. Lately (several nights)I sleep really bad.I noticed that it is more difficult to deal with fear, I am more concentrating on pain. Trying to distract myself I try to focus on my emotions,meditating or watching films that not to think about this,but it is still very hard. Maybe somebody else experienced the same?. Last weeks I had lots of them and still drinking,especially at night.This is worrying me and I wondering if that helps to get rid of pain. Maybe I am worsening the problem.Today first day I decided not to drink painkillers,cause I have enough of them and I can manage well. But I am not sure about night.. Anyway my pain is not so severe like few days before. I try to be more active,clean, cook and do physical exercises (I like 5 tibetians),but am still afraid to drive. I am trying ( I am alone mom with 13 years old daughter),need to to take her to sport, music activities, but it is very painful. But I understand that just forcing myself to do this ,I will overcome fear.
    I wish you well,Lina

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Lina. I had trouble getting to sleep, or waking up after a while and not being able to get back to sleep. My mind was very active, thinking and worrying. I found it very helpful to watch some relaxation videos on Youtube half an hour or an hour before bedtime. One of my favorites is "Guided Meditation for Detachment from Over-Thinking." Michael Sealey's voice is very soothing as he talks about mindfulness of breathing in the present moment.

There are other good ones, too, on Youtube.

It's best not to take any painkillers if you can help it, but Dr. Sarno says it's okay if the pain is intense.

It's very good that you are being active despite any pain. About driving, try to bite the bullet and keep driving your daughter to those events. It's a shame that parents, especially mothers, have become chauffeurs, but that's how it has become. While driving, maybe say some silent mantras like "I can do this. It's a piece of cake." When stopped at a light, massage the soft space between your thumb and index finger and say the mantra. It's a good yoga technique for relaxing. And breathe deeply.

Also, about sleep, tell your mind you are living in the present moment, not thinking about the past or future.

Good luck and hope these ideas help.

Lina78 likes this.
  3. Lina78

Lina78 Newcomer

I was smiling ,reading your post,Walt.Thanks a lot. It is really helpful. I will try to use your advises, for sure.L.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Lina. Glad my post made you smile.

My senior citizen mother once told the priest before Mass that I was her chauffeur. I didn't care much for that.

Lexington and Lina78 like this.