1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

My problem hips (Day 1)

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by andyships, Sep 29, 2017.

1. andyships

andyships New Member

I've started Day 1 of the SEP. I can't decide if I have TMS or not. I definitely have 'advanced bilateral osteoarthritis' in both hips confirmed by x-ray, and accompanying discomfort that waxes and wanes depending on what I ask them (my hips) to do. I'm 55yrs old, used to run a lot, and discovered on x-ray I have slight deformity in my hips, hence the arthritis (should have got the x-ray years ago to check I guess). I could show you my x-rays but you'd all get sore hips just looking at mine. I'm looking for anecdotes from anyone here who has advanced hip osteo and no pain, having treated the pain using TMS techniques.
    I accept that osteo gives me stiffness and range of motion issues, but does it have to include pain if I push them too hard, or is that tms. It's confusing.
    I'll do an hours yoga, (trying to keep my ROM for as long as possible), and have to down a couple of panadol after a few hours cause I get tired of the hip ache from doing the yoga. Of course I can't run anymore, as that causes a lot of pain, so that's not TMS, so where's the dividing line, and is there one ? I cycle (instead of run) and can do 50km training ride, no issues, so that tells me impact causes pain.
    I've also developed a limp, which I monitor, as I've realised I don't have to limp, and that limping causes pain rather than relieves it over time.. Wow, its all so confusing. I've seen first hand the miracle of tms at work, so I'm open to it, just not sure if it applies to me.

HEELLLLLPPPPP

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm assuming that your hips didn't hurt a lot back when you were running, even though you had a "slight deformity in my hips"? Also, when was the onset of symptoms? Not back when you were running I take it. I can't give any easy answers unless you provide evidence of a life stress event that preceded onset of symptoms. That's one typical TMS pattern. Describe your psychology a bit more and maybe some others will chime in with some insights.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Andy, and welcome. I totally get your frustration. One thing you have to determine (maybe you already have - by consulting your health professionals) is whether you could cause more damage by doing the activities you want to do. Because unfortunately that's not something that any of us can tell you. If you determine that you are safe doing various activities, then you can proceed to use TMS and mindfulness techniques to change your perception of your pain.

As for myself, I know for sure that applying TMS theory can help us suffer less even when we have real physical injuries or illness. I've written about my broken hip (bike crash) in 2008, which was three years before I learned about Dr. Sarno, but which clearly illustrated how my state of mind affected my pain level. I've proven this to myself post-Sarno by applying mental pain reduction techniques at the dentist. I was a notoriously bad patient for years, requiring multiple shots of anesthetic at the slightest hint of nerve pain before we could proceed with drilling. These days I start with a normal dose, and practice self-talk if I sense a twinge ("I'm safe, I'm in good hands, the pain isn't necessary because I'm not in danger, this will be over soon..."). My dentist is pretty impressed with the change and very happy that we can get through a procedure without stopping and waiting.

I feel little aches and pains all the time (at age 66) especially at the gym - including the surgery site on my hip where I've got three pins. But none of the pains feels truly scary, so I just tell myself I'm getting stronger by challenging myself, and the pains disappear.

Here's a pretty interesting discussion about osteoarthritis, with several mentions of hip arthritis - and the word "Confused" is right there in the title: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/confused-about-osteoarthritis.13553/ (Confused about Osteoarthritis)

Good luck Andy - maybe you can get another discussion started here.

~Jan

4. JanAtheCPA

Hah - yes, and what Bruce said :^D

5. andyships

andyships New Member

No, my hips didn't hurt at all, when I was running. I did have quite severe lower back pain for about 7 years when I was in my early 30s, and was told not to run, but decided to ignore that advice, and run anyway, and to my surprise at the time, it went away.....so on I went. My left hip started hurting for real about 4 years ago, so I had it x-rayed and found severe arthritis in my left hip then, and stopped running at that point.
    It happened as my father was on his death bed, about a month before he died. Not that he gave me arthritis mind you. It was probably co-incidental.

I've been largely unaware of my psychology going through life. (too scared to look there). I'm only now tackling personal growth issues of self esteem, and self worth that have come to light recently as I look inwards to offer more outwards.

6. BruceMC

Doubt it was coincidental very much. When did my sciatica and LBP begin? A few months after my mother died in 2001 and just after I lost some money on the stock market and a contract ended. Sure enough I took all that energy and started running every day fanatically. Then, the pain began to build and build until I had a catastrophic back attack one evening while stretching down on the patio. At the time it all seemed random. Now, when I look back, though, the emotional logic behind the timing of my symptoms is absolutely obvious. To understand your symptoms you have to stand back and see them in relation to your emotional life.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    birdsetfree likes this.
  7. andyships

andyships New Member

Thanks Jan
    I read this post a few days ago when I searched for 'hip arthritis' over the whole site. Yes, I have asked doc whats ok. Runnings not. Activity is good.... low impact, as it keeps the joints moving and lubricated. The disease is progressing. It wasn't in my right hip so severely a few years ago. I also surf, and while its not painful, I've noticed over the last 12 months that I'm starting to have trouble getting up on the board as easily as I used to. Hips losing ROM.
    At this point I intend to disregard the progression of disease until I'm dissatisfied with my lifestyle due to pain and stiffness and then get them replaced.

If I can postpone that date with a TMS approach then all the better.

8. JanAtheCPA

That's good! You should definitely proceed with the SEP, because I can see that you're a very analytical person (takes one to know one :p) but it's also, as you already said, high time to start doing the psychological work. I didn't start doing this work until I was 60 - still early enough to get my life back.

As for your perception that the progression of your condition is inevitable, I no longer buy into that premise, certainly not for myself.

If you would like to examine the possibility that your body might be capable of reversing a physiological process, I highly recommend two books: When The Body Says No, by Dr. Gabor Mate, and The Anatomy of Hope, by Dr. Jerome Groopman. I have come across people who are scared by these books, because some of the case studies that the two doctors present are pretty intense, but I don't get a sense that you're easily scared - and you might find these two viewpoints to be ultimately inspiring, as I did. Both authors are incredibly compassionate and write really well. Dr. Groopman writes frequently for the New Yorker and/or NY Times - I forget which, but probably both. Dr. Mate has written several books and has many videos online.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

~Jan

birdsetfree and BruceMC like this.
  9. andyships

andyships New Member

Thanks Jan. I'll look these up and read them.

10. andyships

andyships New Member

I can relate to this. I've always pushed my self hard physically over the years, as I found the endorphins soothing. I can see in hindsight I was soothing my inner anxieties, but that exercise didn't make them go away, just made me too tired to deal with them. I should have put my energies into 'growing up' emotionally instead. That would have led to a fuller life earlier on. Plenty of years ahead still though........onward, hips and all.

11. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

A couple thoughts on this- first of all, welcome to the forums, glad you found us! You can see my perspective on arthritis in the post linked above...definitely can contribute to stiffness and some discomfort but I believe a large part of arthritic pain to be TMS caused. Remember that doctors tend to be really conservative in recommendations and would definitely tell you not to run.

The other important thing about arthritis is that, in the traditional medical model, it is characterized as a "disease" as are many things. My perspective is in reality, these things are all parts of normal aging and need to be normalized instead of pathologized. Same goes for "degenerative disc disease" which is something that EVERYONE over 40 has! Can you really call that a disease? Finally, as was mentioned above, there is nothing inevitable about it getting that much worse. Lots of people i've seen have pretty stable, unchanging arthritis who never needed joint replacements. Just keep that in mind.

BruceMC likes this.
  12. andyships

andyships New Member

Hello

Thanks for the reply.................this is the dilemma. If I sit round and do nothing then hips feel stiff but next to no pain.....all good. If I go for a 10k hike then I'll get achy pain and soreness afterwards for a day or two. Is the pain that comes with strenuous activity TMS ? It doesn't seem to be. I can swim as far as I like.....no pain......but activity involving loading the hips.... then ouch. I'm guessing there could be a mix of physical stress causing pain, and TMS pain from time to time caused by worrying about it :)

BruceMC likes this.
  13. BruceMC

In fact, I'm sure about it.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  14. sam908

sam908 Peer Supporter

Some scientists/investigators have said the same about atherosclerosis; that it's not a disease, but rather a chronic "condition" which is reflective of the normal aging process.

MindBodyPT likes this.