1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

My physical therapist

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Waterbear, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Waterbear

Waterbear Peer Supporter

A while back, I went to physical therapy for pain. Since I went for both knees and elbows, I was there for months. My physical therapist was a very nice woman who was my age. We became kind of friends.

When I left therapy, I kept developing pain in my spots on my body (TMS but I didn’t know that then). I’d email my therapist and she’d give me new stretches and ideas.

Eventually, I think she got sick of the fact that I wasn’t improving and told me I needed to call the office over email her directly. However, she also included in that final email that if I ever wanted to hang out and have a board game night, then I was welcome to email her for non-therapy purposes. (We had talked a number of times about having a board game night with her, her husband, and a bunch of my other friends. She was new to the area and didn’t know anyone, and we are a welcoming bunch.)

So that’s what we did and everyone had a good time at the game night.

Maybe one week after that, I discovered TMS and I never called or emailed her again. Its been about a year since I’ve talked with her.

I feel really bad about that. She’s a good person and a nice person. Her and her husband really want a game group to play board games with and I have that with my friends.

However, I kind of want to move on. It's been a year and I still feel bad that I just stopped talking to her. However, I don’t want to think about that part of my life anymore.

Thoughts?

2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Waterbear. I saw a physical therapist for about 15 years. We became good friends. I think we still are good friends. But when I started working on my TMS, I really had to distance myself from her. I know in my heart, she only wants the best for me. And yet, her entire life purpose is based on another framework of thought that does not really fit in with my TMS work. We all know how challenging it is to not have doubts and although I don't think I am as susceptible as I used to be, its just not what I need right now. I personally think its okay to be a little bit self focused on our needs while we are working on and recovering from TMS. I think its fine for you to move on and not feel bad about calling her.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Waterbear, I like Anne's advice. No sense contacting your physical therapist and don't feel bad about it. She's probably so busy, she doesn't think about you contacting her again.