1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 3 My panic attacks have just increased.

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Wheelchair, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Wheelchair

Wheelchair New Member

Need help, i'm having a lot of panic attacks lately, basically i'm on the 3rd day of SEP program. I was trying to re write my history as back i can remember, even from since i was in kindergarten, those tiny glimpse of image that go through my mind . I reached to a conclusion where i figured out three emotions. Fear, Anger, Shame. I basically start to shiver(given that it's still winter) once i'm aware of incoming danger (Is this normal). And does this panic attack indicate that i've identified my repressed emotions or what do they mean. Help me out, i'm very much in more fear than i was before because of this panic attacks. My pain reduced to 30% on day 1 after i read the book, i'm rereading it and following up with SEP but the pain level is same but it's just moving to different location or sometimes i'm feeling pain in two or more different location at the same time.

2. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Howdy...the fact that you felt an immediate pain reduction when reading is very good proof your pain is TMS. Remember that. That said, the healing process is not a straight line. There will be ups and downs, and periods when your brain tries to scare you with new or worse symptoms. This includes panic attacks. They are normal. If your brain realizes you're losing your fear of your original symptoms, it may very well try something new to keep you scared. Plus, the process of uncovering difficult, buried emotions is very hard and will generally produce a lot of very strong emotions. I considered myself a "stable" person, but going through the journaling made me feel like a basket case! It happens, and it's ok. Just make sure to reach out for support through here, or better yet with a mental health professional if you are having trouble.

Wheelchair likes this.
  3. Wheelchair

Wheelchair New Member

roger, well i've had tremendous reduction of pains and i've resumed to 80% of my normal activities but getting the emotions out have been challenging for me. I think my biggest emotion that had trigger TMS is fear, phobia of dark, scared of heights etc, there are countless of fears i posses. How do i deal with each and one of them and more importantly how do i get them out.

4. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Hello, with any strong fear, I think it's good if you can find the root cause behind it. Perhaps there is something in your past you gave you these phobias. Or, they could just be another distraction, like physical pain, that is actually a response to some seemingly unrelated emotional issues. Phobias are not that different from a panic attack, anxiety, or depression. All of them generally involve a mental fixation on something, even when it's not even present. Present mindedness helps deal with all of that, but that's straying a bit from TMS, and again something a mental health professional is more equipped to help with. If you can keep following the treatment program, it will continue to help you identify pressures and stress past and present that are likely contributing to your symptoms. Working through all of that should help you deal with your fears and phobias.