1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel L. My MRI scared me

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by BettieC, May 3, 2016.

1. BettieC

BettieC Newcomer

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I am new to this website - desperately searching for something - back really started acting up - accompanied by sciatica - foot tingling numb - side of calf very painful to the ankle and thigh joint painful. Several years ago I read Dr Sarno's book Healing Back Pain with success.
    I dug it out - and also ordered Dr Schechter (?) 30 day workbook, Mind Body Healing (I am halfway through), Went to an acupuncturist several times - that helped.
    I hate to travel and stay with people - I had a neice's wedding coming up - suppose to take my 82 yr old mom, I figured once this was over (I didn't go due to the pain) I'd be okay.
    I also went to my general physician, who ordered an MRI. I have been doing so well, I thought I might could start working out at the gym next week (I'm paying for a persona trainer, whether I go or not). My husband disagreed saying with my pinched nerve - (acupuncturist & doctors diagnosis) and sciatica - that I might be paralyzed. PARALYZED!!!!
    I read the results of the MRI this morning - and now for 4.5 hours I have done nothing. I am in a tizzy. MRI shows 2 different diffuse disc bulges (pinched nerves?) and a severe bilateral facet joint osteophyte Tritus.
    Severe? What?
    So I cannot believe how upset I am. I just want to go home and lay down, just close out the world. Can you help me please? I am scared. Do you think its TMS?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2016
  2. Daniel G Lyman LCSW

Daniel G Lyman LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    There was a recent episode of a podcast called This American Life that talked about a Chinese-American family and their response to learning that the matriarch of their family had serious lung cancer and only 3 more months to live. This information was confirmed with multiple doctors.

In Chinese tradition (according to the podcast), it is customary to have a relative get medical results for you, and so in this case it was the sister of the matriarch who spoke with the various doctors and found out about the 3 months to live. The family then decided not to say anything to the matriarch because they didn’t want her to live her final 3 months in fear and sadness.

I’ll cut to the chase (spoiler alert) – turns out, the doctors were wrong. Very wrong. She lived for many more YEARS. The cancer that was supposed to kill her right away, ended up not doing much of anything for quite some time.

Keep that story in mind as I respond to your post.

You said that you’re a confirmed TMS person because you recovered from TMS pain before. You also said that you were feeling well up until the point of being told that you aren’t well. Your anxiety is currently getting the best of you.

Those are all excellent signs of confirmation that indeed, you are a TMS person. When you’re confident that you’re TMSer, you can be sure of a couple of things: 1) Many of the aches and pains you have in your life are and will be TMS & 2) Your response to those aches and pains will probably be that of panic.

I can’t tell you 100% that this is TMS or not, but I can tell you that disc bulges and sciatica can be TMS. I strongly recommend you find the TMS doctor nearest you (fly to him/her if you have to) to get that confirmation. It sounds like you have normal abnormalities in your back, and that you can be and will be fine. Besides, you’ve been feeling better as of late – don’t forget that.

My hunch is telling me that this is all TMS, and if you treat it as such, you will be fine. Meditate, journal, take some deep breaths, and DON’T LET YOURSELF PANIC. You are going to be just fine.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

she333 and Tennis Tom like this.
  3. BettieC

BettieC Newcomer

Thank you Daniel - I treasure your response. Yes, its crazy (another TMS sign - LOL) I was feeling stronger, better, optemistic even - and then wham! This morning getting ready for work I was aware of all the numbness, tingling, some pain - I will read and reread your response - also see about finding a TMS doctor. Thank you again!!