1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

My lizard brain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Zoeinoz, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Zoeinoz

Zoeinoz New Member

The question to ponder as part of Day 9 is 'have you been overly critical lately?'
    This made me think of my sister. She attended a great seminar for her work lately where the psychologist presenter spoke about our "lizard brain" - the thinking, analytical part of our brain that stopped us getting eaten or freezing to death in the caveman days. Though I have always thought of myself as self-confident, the program has made me realize how busy my lizard brain is and how critical of myself I am sometimes. Realizing I don't have to listen or believe these thoughts has been a revelation (another one!). While mindfulness and disengaging from the lizard is taking time and practice it is really worthwhile. My own evolutionary step!!

2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I think we can all be negative, we always gravitate to the worse case scenario as part of our self defense mechanism.

Excellent work Zoe, acknowledgement is a step closer to change. Keep up the fantastic work.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Zoeinoz. The lizard brain concept is a problem for most of us... thinking the worst is going to happen, or thinking the worst about ourselves.

It's so easy to get in the worry mode. To combat it, I go back to deep breathing and also laughing.