1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 My Journey Begins

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Jim M, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Jim M

Jim M Newcomer

Let me begin by saying that I completely believe in Dr. Sarno’s TMS diagnosis and recovery strategies. I have told people that “Healing Back Pain – The Mind-Body Connection” is the second most powerful and important book I’ve ever read; the first being the bible.

I successfully used Dr. Sarno’s techniques to completely cure twenty-four long years of debilitating back and neck pain. I read “Healing Back Pain in the year 2000 and have now been completely pain free for 16 years. Once I was cured, I wrote to Dr. Sarno to share the story of my recovery with him and to thank him. He included my letter in his follow-up book “The Divided Mind”. The letter is on page 132. He refers to me as Mr. M. If you have any doubts about whether this will work for you, my answer is an emphatic “absolutely”. Just trust the process and do the work.

So why am I here now? In 2006, I developed severe tinnitus. I have tried all of the “treatments” that are out there, regardless of how slim the chances were of a particular treatment actually working. Just like with my back/neck pain, I searched outside of myself for the cure. I’ve spent tens-of-thousands of dollars and devoted countless hundreds of hours pursuing various treatments for tinnitus.

The result of all of this is that the tinnitus has only grown progressively worse over time. This is exactly what happened with my back/neck as well. And, just like my back/neck pain, I do not always have the tinnitus. There are days when I am completely silent. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, my silent days have grown increasingly rare with each passing year. My subconscious mind is going to continue to scream and holler until I address the root cause of why it brought on the tinnitus to begin with. That is its job.

Yesterday, as my mind blasted that hissing noise that I hate so much, I decided that enough is enough. I had an “aha” moment. I realized that the “cure” has been right there in front of me the entire time. Now I am ready to dive in and fully embrace it.

My tinnitus began when I was under incredible stress at work. I was working seven days a week, ten to thirteen hours per day. I hated every minute of it. To make matters worse, I had no choice in the matter. I was told that I either complete this project in an insanely short period of time (3 months) or I was out the door. At that time, the job market for what I do (I.T. developer) was completely dried up. To make matters even worse, I actually hate my career as an I.T. Developer. Going into that field is the very worst decision I’ve ever made.

Some of the experts who’ve worked with me, to overcome the tinnitus, have asked me what the tinnitus would say if it could talk. My answer was easy “GET OUT”; meaning get out of my I.T. career. The good news is that I am actively pursuing a new career. I have just about completed my studies and am beginning to build a business as a Wellness and Eating Psychology Coach. This kind of work is my true passion.

Unfortunately, the tinnitus greatly impedes my ability to make progress with building my business. It saps my energy, limits my ability to concentrate, depresses the hell out of me, and completely drains me by early evening. These are exactly hours when I have the time available to work on my business building tasks. The tinnitus has me in a Catch-22 situation.

That is all about to change. Today is DAY ONE of my new journey toward silence and a thriving practice as a Wellness coach. It’s a win-win. I get my life back AND get to live my life purpose of helping others to improve their health and wellness.

I am so ready for this. Let my journey begin!

Brant likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Jim. Your opening paragraph says it all, to me. The Bible, then Healing Back Pain. If we believe in the Mind-Body TMS connection and in God, we will be well in every way.

One of the best things you've ever done is to come to this web site and to start the SEProgram. Both will help you to heal from the tinnitus and other symptoms. I am 86 and have had tinnitus more than half my life, but rarely hear the ringing in my ears.
    I do when under stress but TMS has taught me to deal with stress and anxiety.

You have had wonderful success in healing in the past by belief in TMS. You made a very wise decision in leaving the occupation that stressed you, and I believe your new one as a Wellness coach will help make you a healthy person in a very meaningful field to help others. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress in the program.

Have you read Karen Armstrong's book The Case for God ? I am ordering it after reading how great it is at amazon.com books.
    Reviews from critics and readers are so positive as she makes the case that God exists and loves us. My sister and also a close friend both overcame life-threatening cancer through their belief in God healing them.

3. Jim M

Jim M Newcomer

Hi Walt,

Thanks for your kind words. Also, thank you for sharing the information about the book "The Case for God". I am going to order it today!

Be well,
    Jim