1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 My journey begins

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by tim, Dec 19, 2012.

1. tim

tim New Member

I've suffered from eczema for 50+years. I've tried every med and treatment there is with little success. Over the years it has only gotten worse. Emotions have always played a major role in my outbreaks. I know this is TMS and I'm excited about this journey that I am undertaking here. I've already read 2 of Dr. Sarno's books multiple times and have actually developed some hip pain and I know there is nothing structurally wrong with my hips. I'm already experiencing shifting TMS symptoms.

Jilly likes this.
  2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Welcome, Tim!

tim likes this.
  3. Stella

Stella Well known member

It is very exciting Tim. I experienced the same thing... a slight relief in pain. I started reading the book again, The Divided Mind, and continued to have a slight relief in pain. Then I found this site. The book, "They Can't find anything Wrong" by Dr. David Clarke, has been very insightful too.

Welcome to the best journey of your life. Sandy

tim and Jilly like this.
  4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome Tim! I too wondered whether there existed a connection between various skin rashes I've had from time to time and TMS. When I had a herniated disk in my lower left back in 2001 a patch of eczema developed at exactly the same place where the lower lumbar pain was. My family physician assured me that these were two different conditions with presumably two different causes and diagnoses. From what I've learned about TMS, I'd have to call that BS. My batch of eczema disappeared as the pain in my lower back subsided, like the two were very much interrelated and caused by the same underlying emotional condition. Interesting to note that both the lower lumbar pain and eczema developed a short time after my mother's death in January 2001. Interesting to note too that my late mother also had eczema that would flare up as her relationship with my late father went through its various ups and downs. No coincidence I'd say! You'll notice as you read the literature on psychosomatic symptomatology that TMS symptoms are quite often "contagious" from one individual to another by some yet unexplained psychological process. There are preferred and probable symptoms that will be accepted by the medical community.

You're at the beginning of a process of self-discovery and healing. Good luck!

tim and Jilly like this.
  5. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Welcome aboard, Tim !

tim likes this.
  6. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

im very glad your here tim -aint it wonderful that were living in a time that a cure really does exist-
    weve been told our whole lives nothing can be done-or we were assured it could be ,but the cure never came-
    now were all here together with healing testimonies and continued journeys , helping each other,
    supporting one another and reviving the hope we once had
    we were just not told the truth-thank god there were a few that decided to step outside the box
    and seek the truth for the betterment of mankind-it gave me my life back tim, when i thought of giving up, i got my hope back and cured
    this is a place of hope,a place of truth,stay the course and watch miracles happen-welcome aboard

tim, Jilly and MorComm like this.
  7. tarala

tarala Well known member

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum.

Rashes were what my TMS would shift TO, away from sciatica. That's one of the reasons I knew it was TMS. Isn't it amazing what the mind can come up with!
    Terry

Jilly likes this.
  8. junkgrl

junkgrl New Member

I notice as my hip pain has improved this week, a spot of eczema on my hand has gotten much larger and angrier looking. Thanks for the heads up on this. I am new to the forum and just finished Dr. Sarno's Healing Back Pain. I am sure at this point this pain is TMS, but perhaps have not internalized it yet.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

The more we stop thinking our pain or rash is from something physical or structural
    and believe 100 percent it is TMS, the faster we heal. Get to those repressed emotions!
    That's where the healing is.

10. junkgrl

junkgrl New Member

Yes. Even before I heard about TMS, I had been wondering about my emotions being kind of "flat-lined" but along with that was irrational anxiety when I did certain things I used to do with no problem. The emotional blah is probably where the repression is going on. I am just about done with "the mindbody prescription" and will read the Healing Back Pain again. I am very suspicious of the medical profession from what I have learned in my trying to change my nutrition and be healthier, so the horrible conventional wisdom con job of back pain and treatment of pain is really no surprise. I am ready to believe.

11. junkgrl

junkgrl New Member

The contagious issue is interesting. I NEVER had a rash or eczema in my whole life (I am 65) but now I have some patches of it, along with right lower back and hip pain. Now I know about TMS (just in the last 2 weeks). Curiously, my husband, who has never had eczema either now has a spot on his chest. I had been trying to treat mine with diet, eliminating high histamine foods, etc. but now looking at TMS as I have eaten all those same foods most of my life and now they affect me when I am eating the healthiest I have ever eaten? Puzzling. But maybe no longer.

12. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

I notice, junkgrl, how those rashes will disappear if I don't focus and obsess about them, very much in the same manner that by not focusing and obsessing on it, the TMS pain in my back, hip and legs goes away. Sounds as if the rash and the pain are two aspects of the same body-mind process.