1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern U.S.(New York) Daylight Time. It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern (now US Daylight Time).
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 My intro and progress

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by InvincibleHymn, Jun 28, 2018.

1. InvincibleHymn

InvincibleHymn Newcomer

Day 8 encourages me to make a brief forum post introducing myself. I intend to follow the program to the letter so here goes. :)

First of all, I admit that this post is a bit difficult for me. I usually don't communicate my health issues to my loved ones, let alone to total strangers. I usually suck it up, try to cope and take pride in not putting my burden on others. However, that strategy is probably part of why I am here in the first place to let's carry on!

I'm a 42 year old guy with a history of chronic leg pain, leg weakness and balance issues developing over the past 10+ years. The failing health of my lower body was easily explained in my mind. With two severely sprained ankle incidents and a femoral neck fracture that required two operations and a year of rehab, I am the guy who never fully recovered and therefore cannot do much sports activity. My inactivity could easily explain why my back hurt and why I had two episodes of debilitating lower back pain. The doctors, chiropractors, PTs and x-ray were all somewhat in agreement. My back was the culprit, it could explain most of what I experienced.

Two months ago I was at a low point. I had just stumbled over a door-step not able to lift my feet enough and with no reflexes or strength to prevent a hard fall. The weakness was now centered around my right side from top to bottom. I could not jump 1 cm on my right foot. I could not do 1 second of side plank on my right side. I could jump 1 meter standing on my left foot and do 1 minute of left side plank. I could wake up at night with pain, spasms, tingling and numbness in my right leg. My entire right side was literally at 30% of capacity and deteriorating. I started to doubt that my back could cause all these problems. Google told me that I was probably suffering from a neurological disease, probably Parkinson's. Fear was cranked up to 11. Never google your symptoms in a fragile state of mind...

Skip forward to today - I can't really recall why "the Mindbody prescription" ended up on my Kindle. However I gradually realize that this book is written specifically for me. I can start to clearly feel the correlation between my emotional state, stressors in my life and physical symptoms I experience. The past 7 days of Alans program has been enlightening, especially the journaling activities.

I am at the start of this journey. I am not sure where it will take me but right now I am full of spirit. For the first time in many years I have a positive outlook on my future health. I have a lot to add, but for now I wish you all good luck with your recovery.

2. Purist

Purist New Member

Thanks for contributing and joining the forum. I believe a positive outlook will do wonders. If we believe things will never change it will only cause more worries and anxiety, adding to the vicious circle. I felt the same after reading the book. I feel enlightened, hopeful, and connected to others for the first time. Whereas a couple months ago I was in a very very dark place, without hope.

I just picked up Steve O's book and it's re-confirming what I learned, I think the more you read and watch on YouTube, the more you'll understand how important and helpful this process is. I skipped journaling a couple days, but that's exactly what the mind wants you to do to protect itself. Keep that in mind, but also be kind to yourself if you do skip a day.

3. Gezondweerop

Gezondweerop Newcomer

I’m a newcomer too, not a narrative English speaker so sorry for eventualy mistakes in my writing. Reading dr Sarno’s Divided Mind and most off al many postings on this forum. I have never been a visitor on a forum but feel that I want to share this time because of all the nice comments I read.
    Today, following day 8 of the SEP I wrote an unsent letter and feel so much anger to the person I wrote it to and sorrow to myself. That person died already and rational I can even give him credits for the things he did well. But deep inside I feel that he let me fall down and that hurts.
    And now, what to do with these uncomfortable feelings? It is so very long ago....