1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

My experience with delayed onset reaction

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Davideus85, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Davideus85

Davideus85 Peer Supporter

So I was reading through Sarno’s book on Healing Back Pain and came across a section on delayed-onset reaction. This totally applied to me and I have a perfect example of this happening recently. (This is all before I knew anything about TMS but I strongly suspected psychological causes). Right as summer was approaching, I was set to start a temporary summer job. I have done this job every summer and really look forward to it. I love working with the people, I love the environment, and honestly I needed the money really bad (You get the idea, I was motivated). I had been terribly concerned and afraid all year that I would not be able to do this job due to my constant back pain. As the time finally approached to start this job, I made up my mind that I was going to do my best and do the job anyways. I told myself I simply don’t have time to be in pain and (literally) can’t afford to deal with it right now. My attention was elsewhere.
    What happened after 2-3 days in the job, the pain went down 80%. Totally manageable. Days after that, essentially the pain was essentially gone. After about a month of hard work, I decided to take a couple weeks off due to a change in the job duties that I was not interested in getting involved in. Just a day in, I felt horrible bored and depressed. I had nothing to do and I realized what meaning and purpose the work was giving me. So what happened immediately after? Yep. Pain returned with a vengeance. Continued until I went back to work, which the pain steadily declined again.

I was afraid that doing this job would worsen my symptoms. The nature of the job is very physically demanding.
    What I found so astounding is the heavy kind of lifting I was able to do with no pain whatsoever. None. I had to lift and carry extremely heavy objects, bend over constantly, etc. It exhausted the hell out of me. But never did it trigger or bring on any pain! Again, I hadn't discovered TMS at this point, I was convinced without a doubt the psychological nature of my pain afterwards.

I just thought I’d share that. It’s amazing what our bodes can do when our minds force it to!