1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

My Dr visit today for Wrist/Hand/Forearm pain. Thoughts and worries.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Lilybluerose, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Lilybluerose

Lilybluerose Peer Supporter

I went to my pcp today for my wrist/hand/forearm pain. I actually saw him in 2018 for this. So I had the same symptoms in Jan 2018.

He also pulled up my old chart from 2016. I saw a different dr at the time, and went for shoulder pain diagnosed as tendinitis and also tingling down my arm and hand. The same side, my right arm/hand. Nerve study came back normal.

My dr today said hes 1000% sure that any imaging I had done would show absolutely nothing, so he didn't think I needed it done. He did physical examinations and tests on my arms/hands. He is not conservative with ordering tests, so I truly believe him when he says this.

He said probably inflammation or carpal or ulnar tunnel, and that I should see a physical therapist, and if I dont see relief in a month, we can do another nerve conduction study. He also said with certainty that doing activities like computer work and exercise wont make me worse.

Here are my thoughts and worries.

Since I had this in 2016 I worry that maybe I do have an injury or nerve entrapment causing this. but then I counter it with " Wouldnt it have healed by now? "

What if it is carpal or ulnar tunnel? Shouldnt I find out for sure and do therapy for it? Then I counter with " So what if it is those, and Dr Sarno also states most tunnels are TMS.

Back in Jan 2018 I obsessively researched RSI/carpal exercises and rehab. I did stretches and massages, just like the DR today said to do, as well as icing and heat and bracing. It did not help at all, but made the pain worse.

So I am stuck with my anxious mind saying try the physical therapy so you dont get worse, and get the nerve test! Then my logical mind is like just forget about it, move on, continue the TMS emotional work.

Thoughts please? Thank you so much, this forum is an amazing place.

Stephan Ferreira likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

@Lilybluerose, you've already answered your own questions, and the answers are the correct ones.

Did you listen to The Mind And Fitness Podcast episode #85 with Dr. Schubiner? He addresses the injury question. (spoiler alert: injuries heal). The whole podcast is awesome and it ought to encourage you UNLESS you are giving your primitive fearful brain too much power, and allowing it to keep you in fear. You need to understand this once and for all: THAT is where all of your doubts are coming from. The only way you can truly recover is to face those negative fear messages, fight back, and call bullshit on them. And of course, keep "doing the work".

TG957 likes this.
  3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

In addition to pain in hand and arm, I had abysmal nerve conduction study and was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. I was lucky enough to ignore the diagnosis. I fully recovered using Dr Sarno's approach. I agree with Jan.

4. Lilybluerose

Wow that is amazing tg!! Truly! Very inspiring! Ty both so much! Yes I loved that podcast! Have it saved for more listening too!

5. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

You can do it. It is most often harder than we think going in, but not as hard as being bounced between doctors and treatments. Good luck!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. Lilybluerose

Thank you! Ive been doing and feeling MUCH better since starting! Its amazing. Tucked away my ergonomic mouse too in place for my MMO mouse ;P

TG957 and JanAtheCPA like this.