1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

My boyfriend is being insensitive during my recovery

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by GeorgianaPaulson, Nov 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GeorgianaPaulson

GeorgianaPaulson Newcomer

My boyfriend & I have been in a serious relationship for 2 years. We don’t live together & we don’t routinely see each other throughout the week, just the weekend. We have different work schedules & live in opposite parts of town, about 20-30 mins apart. I knew I wouldn’t be able to rely on him for major care during my first few post breast augmentation operation days because of this but that was okay.

Anyway, I had surgery a few days ago, and of course, I’ve been in a lot of pain. Lots of soreness. Drowsiness due to pain meds, etc. He texts to ask how I feel then boots up the PS4, rinse & repeat.

Yesterday I told him I was feeling pretty lonely & would like some company. He told me that he’s been at work all day, has quests to complete in his game, and that he shouldn’t have to feel obligated help me feel better anyway because I chose to do this to myself. He also mentioned that I’d be driving up there this weekend anyway. I had to tell him that he might have to pick me up instead if I’m still in pain & he seemed very frustrated about that. I dropped it there & told him to have a good night.

Is he out of the mind for not making an effort to help during my recovery? How can I dumb this down to him & tell him that he’s being insensitive? As I said, I didn’t expect him to take a week off from work or anything major. When I ask him to at least give me a call for comfort, he repeats that I chose to do the surgery to myself & he shouldn’t have to do anything for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2018
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi GeorgianaPaulson,
    Are you here for studying your relationship to chronic pain, or other symptoms? I am curious about you joining the Forum here, what your purpose is, how we can help. You make a heartfelt post. I am wishing you the best with your boyfriend, and your breast augmentation surgery.
    Andy B

3. GeorgianaPaulson

GeorgianaPaulson Newcomer

Hi Andy,
    I am feeling very low right now and I thought I would be getting some help from this forum on how to recover from it. That's the reason for joining this forum. I am really sorry I had to explain all these here (about my relationship).
    Thanks for your best wishes

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle