1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

My aching back - How long does this take?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by War Eagle Man, Jul 11, 2017.

1. War Eagle Man

War Eagle Man New Member

I've been experiencing back pain for approximately 10 years. I recently starting reading Sarno after hearing Howard Stern talk about him. How long does it typically take to stop the pain. I'm feeling a little better.

2. hopeful_guitarist

hopeful_guitarist Peer Supporter

Hi War Eagle Man! Mileage seems to vary from person to person. I read that people who worked directly with Dr. Sarno tended to have much quicker recovery (weeks) but it takes longer if you're doing it on your own. Might have something to do with your brain accepting the authority of a doctor but needing longer to be convinced by a book.

My own experience was about 5 1/2 months from discovering Healing Back Pain to realizing I had gone several days without any pain. I'm currently at about 7 months and (after 6 weeks of zero pain) I'm in the middle of a week-long partial relapse due to some stress around a family reunion. Interestingly, it seems to get better around the time you finally stop worrying about how long it will take to get better.

Stick with it and it will happen! Best wishes.

3. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

Setting a time line for healing can be a stressor and actually make symptoms worse. If you can, just take it a step at a time and the healing will come when you are really ready for it. Even if you think you are ready right this second, you may not be. Read some of SteveO's postings.

@hopeful_guitarist - good to know you've had several pain free months.

4. War Eagle Man

War Eagle Man New Member

Thanks very much. I will stick with it.

5. War Eagle Man

War Eagle Man New Member

OK Thanks very much.