1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Muscle twitch in leg causes painful cramp

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Artmuzz, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Well known member

I am getting worried. I have had a stressful week and had a panic attack a few days ago due to excessive stress and anxiety.

This afternoon I lay on the sofa and felt relaxed. All of a sudden I felt something move in my calf muscle like muscle twitching which caused severe painful cramp in my calf muscle.

What is worrying me is that I didn’t even pull a muscle or move or put strain on my leg for it to happen. It just happened due to this simple muscle twitch. Is this normal?

It’s also worth pointing out that the leg affected is the same leg I had sciatica with a couple of years ago.

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Don't worry. Muscle twitches are harmless :) Consider the possibility that your TMS was activated in your leg due to the fear occurring around the muscle twitch. As you point out, you've experienced TMS in that leg before. Muscle cramps can also happen randomly, without straining or injuring a muscle (anyone who has ever had a foot cramp can attest to that!). I hope you're getting some R&R after your stressful week.

Ellen and plum like this.
  3. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Well known member

Thanks for the reply. Glad to know that painful muscle twitches that cause severe painful cramp in my calf muscle and temporary paralysis of my foot are normal and part of TMS.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018