1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Muscle tension

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by fredb, Apr 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Has anyone felt this way? I have had upper back/scapula pain for months and recently it disappeared for two weeks.I hope that was because of my TMS work and not a coincidence? I have posted before and had some helpful and comforting replies. My pain has returned. I have also posted on the therapist help page. But not sure that has filtered through.
    My problem is that I understand the TMS method and I am convinced my pain is TMS, or certainly muscle tension/ tightness and the resulting pain, however, I guess I just don't want TMS!! And therefore can't seem to relax the muscles. I feel knowing it is TMS I should easily cure this, but that does not seem to work? I honestly do not believe there is any structural problem, only chronic muscle tension. Any advice would be welcome.

2. JulieMTherapy

JulieMTherapy Peer Supporter

Hi Fredb,

I am a TMS therapist. I'm happy to speak with you. Remember, muscle tension is about feeling under threat. These sensations are neutral. You're safe. What might you be distracting yourself from? Please feel free to reach out.

Warmly,

Julie

linnyc87, andy64tms and silentflutes like this.
  3. silentflutes

silentflutes Peer Supporter

This sentence hit me really deep. Thanks!

JulieMTherapy likes this.
  4. silentflutes

silentflutes Peer Supporter

Could you further discuss on topic of muscle spasm?

5. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Thank you for your reply Julie. The odd thing is that when I am walking or gently exercising the pain eases. Whereas if I stand or sit for a period of time, the pain begins to ramp up?
    I am convinced it is TMS causing muscle tension in the upper back, but releasing the tension is more than difficult!
    Any thoughts please.
    Fred.

linnyc87 likes this.
  6. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member

Hi fredb, Julie

A good example of this for me was the opening of “Phantom of the Opera” that was shock and awe. I had the worst neck spasm you could imagine when the explosive music started; I was in severe neck pain for many days.

Hi, I am Andy, a 71 year old (or young). I have had years of neck tension as you describe. It began in 1998 and settled in gradually over the years. Around this time coincidently I had overcome lower back pain; perhaps my TMS issues moved locations. Over the twenty years my opinion has swayed back and forth from the physical to psychological. My current thoughts it’s a mixture of both. My location of pain is the Levitor scapulae, a muscle that runs from the three neck vertebrae to the scapula. Levitor scapular means: “lift shoulder blades”.

I had an acute crooked neck and age settling of the joints that have caused arthritis, as per an MRI. This levitor scapulae muscle is pushed out by the misalignment of my neck and I can receive much relief from massaging it with two fingers with soapy water, stretching yoga poses and more recently (two years) weight lifting. Unfortunately I am targeting my pain muscles, or am I exercising? The reader will decide.

In addition to weight lifting I have had two bouts of physical therapy. The first was an outstanding success. I regained full rotation of my neck when reversing a vehicle, my shoulders noticeably dropped and my pain level is now much lower, my crooked neck even looks straighter. I question myself often: Was I actually in tension for 20 years, did my neck sink and become crushed, and have I gained height?

Now retired, I am in the least stressful environment free of work, family and the daily tormenting stress we all put up with. I have done oodles of TMS work since 2011 and understand TMS implicitly. Under these circumstances I continually ask myself what drives my tension today, I still have some early morning pain when awaking. Since muscles are designed to tense and release, could it be my arthritis is the secondary cause for this tightness since when I get moving this pain subsides?

My theory “Mixture of Both physical to psychological” address Julies “Threat” comment as well as my 20 years of personal experiences. It also satisfies both mind and body concerns.

Unfortunately I feel TMS purists would baulk at my deep investigation into the physical and not just accepting blindly that the pain is 100% TMS. I personally think I have ruled out the physical by understanding what is going on, but it has taken twenty years.

Fred this may or may not be of used to you, my only advice is, keep an open mind. Silentflutes may also be interested.

Good luck

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  7. andy64tms

Hi Fredb,

Reviewing your other posts I see little relating to psychological causes of your tension. I once wrote a post pointing to three areas. Past, Present or Personality issues, or even a combination of all three. The psychological is often overlooked by new people in their quest to be pain free and this quest becomes one giant distraction. This is TMS working at its finest. :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  8. JulieMTherapy

JulieMTherapy Peer Supporter

If you think that the pain is related to what you're physically doing e.g. standing then you will continue to have the pain while standing. If you truly believe it is TMS, you need to remember that it doesn't not matter what you're physically doing...think about what emotions are coming up and that you're trying to distract from: anger, sadness, fear, feeling helpless, burdened, etc.

9. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Thanks again for your input Julie. I have difficulty identifying emotions before pain onset. I do know that the pain, whilst chronic in nature, does ramp up when I am faced with even the most simple task, that I guess I don’t want to undertake. I know it is constant muscle tension. What else could it be? However, I just don’t seem to be able to release it. I believe, I have an underlying fear of the pain, that has now become a habit. What are your thoughts Julie.
    I much appreciate your interest and help.
    Fred.

10. andy64tms

The elephant in the room is leaving the room, bye :)

11. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Sorry Andy. I should have responded earlier, but I have really not been well on medication my GP has prescribed. Thank you so much for your input. I do believe my problem is not structural and is muscle tension due to TMS . It did go away a few weeks ago for a number of days, but is now back and my efforts to release the tension have been to no avail so far. I understand Julie’s comments that I must feel under threat, as even simple tasks that I have no wish to engage in seem to develop into a perceived “threat”.
    Julie your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
    Regards.
    Fred.

12. andy64tms

13. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Thanks Andy.
    Julie, have you any further thoughts over my upper back tension, re the previous message?
    Thank you.