1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 25 Muscle Tension and Anxiety

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by UGH!, Jul 25, 2022.

1. UGH!

UGH! Newcomer

I'm on Day 25. I've had chronic lower back pain for years and came across the app Curable. I started using it but ultimately dismissed the concepts as "not applicable" to me. Then, after trying a myriad of other remedies (acupuncture, massage therapy, tapping, physical therapy), I committed to reading one of Dr. Sarno's books and I feel like it is the solution for me.

It all makes sense, the irritable bowel syndrome issues I've had since law school. The recurrent pelvic pain I've experienced. The back and hip pain I've had for years. It all comes down to, for me, anxiety that I've kind of masked.

I believe my anxiety steps from a people-pleasing/goodist/caretaker type of personality. I don't fit all of this to a T, but certainly have a lot of all of these characteristics. Quite shocking to learn about yourself in this way.

Anyway, my pain is significantly reduced but I feel my anxiety has gotten worse and I'm struggling to understand why that may be. My anxiety has a physical component which results in me clenching muscles in my core, which then results in the painful conditions in my back, stomach, hips, and pelvic area. I'm attempting to really work on my anxiety condition but it's really acting up. Anyone know why this is happening and should I just keep doing what I'm doing by confronting the why of that condition even though it is really turning up.

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Increase in symptoms is a common response to TMS work. I had increased pain, other symptoms and wild anxiety. I really think it is your brain so afraid of feeling the emotions and self discovery, that it really tries to protect you. My anxiety suddenly just leveled off and has kept dropping... now I just notice normal everyday anxieties.
    You are doing great and are totally on the right track!

3. UGH!

UGH! Newcomer

Thanks Cactus! I'm going in this direction. I started listening to the Dr. Weekes book "Hope & Help for your Nerves" on Audible and that seems to be helping with the discovery of some issues too. I'm really glad this forum exists.

4. Booble

Booble Well known member

>>>>should I just keep doing what I'm doing by confronting the why of that condition even though it is really turning up.<<<<

Yes.
    The cool thing is you don't have to really "work on" any specific area. Whether it's pain or clenched muscles or anxiety symptoms it's all the same.
    Confront those emotions and you take away the power of that more primitive part of the brain that is trying to help you in unhelpful ways.