1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

MRI Results - Where do I go from here?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Lisa, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Lisa

Lisa Peer Supporter

It’s been about a month since I discovered Dr Sarno, started researching TMS and looking into the bio-psychosocial approach. I believe I fit much of the criteria, both psychologically and physically - I have had chronic pain for the past 6 months with a history of previous back pain and sciatica. Since embracing this new approach, I have seen encouraging changes in my pain, discomfort and mental health

The reason I’m reaching out today is because I’ve just returned from an appointment with my GP for the results of a recent MRI.
    GP has confirmed a principle abnormality at L5 S1 - a large left disc prolapse, compressing the left S1 nerve root

The disc prolapse is not a surprise to me, this had shown on a previous MRI in 2014, however I left the surgery thinking the compressed nerve explained the severe sciatica pain I’ve had these past months. Then I suddenly realised I’d totally overlooked everything I’ve learned so far about mind-body syndrome / TMS etc. and I’m left feeling totally confused and deflated

I guess my question is, where do I go from here? Can the TMS approach still help with my sciatica pain? Or is this now definitely a structural issue in my spine?

I would really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions and am grateful for your time reading my post

Lisa

2. Duggit

Duggit Well known member

Here is a perspective on MRIs by a well known pain scientist:

https://theconversation.com/no-brain-no-pain-it-is-in-the-mind-so-test-results-can-make-it-worse-40989 (No brain, no pain: it is in the mind, so test results can make it worse)

Dr. Howard Schubiner's newest book (coauthored with Dr. Allan Abbass) contains a table from The American Journal of Neuroradiology regarding individuals with imaging "findings" who have no back pain. At age 30, for example, 52% of asymptomatic persons had disk degeneration, 40% had disk bulge, 31% had disk protrusion, and so on for other structural conditions. At age 40, the numbers were 68%, 50% and 33% respectively. The percentages continue to increase with age so that by age 80, they are 96%, 84%, and 43%. These are octogenarians with no back pain.

TG957 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. Lisa

Lisa Peer Supporter

Thanks for the link @Duggit, I guess I’m hoping for something that’s specific to the nerve root compression. I’m going to start rereading Dr Sarno’s Healing Back Pain tonight

4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Lisa,

Are you familiar with the work of Dr. David Hanscom? He’s was a salvage spine surgeon (I think he’s stop doing this work to focus more on the mind~body element but I’m not sure), so the main focus of his time was dealing with surgeries that had gone wrong and were inherently complex.

My problem was trigeminal neuralgia rather than a back problem but a nerve issue nonetheless. Dr. Hanscom’s book was a game-changer for me because I learned to calm down my oversensitised nervous system and break the relentless pain cycle.

Here’s the link to his website:

https://backincontrol.com/ (Home)

He also posts here on the forum under Mindbody blogs.

Without question the TMS approach can help you. The confusion and doubt you feel is entirely natural so don’t worry too much about it.

plum x

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. Lisa

Lisa Peer Supporter

Hi Plum,

I’m going to get this book, thank you for the link. Did you read both books or Back in Control?

Again, thank you. Lisa

plum likes this.
  6. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

I read “Back in Control”. It really lead to a breakthrough for me and I mention it in ‘My Story’ lest that’s of interest to you.

I’m sure you’ll find his stuff to be very helpful, especially at this point in figuring out what to do next.

plum x

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. Lisa

Lisa Peer Supporter

Plum, thank you. I am so thankful that you posted, your recommendations and especially the links to Yin yoga couldn’t have helped more right now _/|\_

plum likes this.
  8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

You’re welcome my love. x

Lisa likes this.