1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

Moving normally

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by hoolie, Nov 11, 2014.

1. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

Hi all-

In the course of my struggle with TMS symptoms (that I am now addressing as tms!), I have developed so many protective movement patterns. I know that I'm not alone here, so I would love to hear how you overcame these patterns to start moving normally again. Though better, I'm still guarded. I long to just be free with my movements without thinking about it. For example, I am still very careful about how I get into bed, the car, get down on the floor, etc. I just read a response by @nowtimecoach about conditioning, where she just repeated the movement over and over again. That was helpful! But I'm curious to hear what worked for you.its almost like I have to relearn normal, because that's not automatic anymore!
    Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  2. Walt Oleksy

Walt Oleksy Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi. Hoolie. I'm 84 and am careful walking, getting into and out of bed and the car.
    I don't want to fall and break a hip, like so many other seniors do.

So even though you're much younger, I wouldn't worry about being protective in moving around.
    Just keep being careful in mind and don't let it become a conditioning.