1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Moving normally

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by hoolie, Nov 11, 2014.

1. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

Hi all-

In the course of my struggle with TMS symptoms (that I am now addressing as tms!), I have developed so many protective movement patterns. I know that I'm not alone here, so I would love to hear how you overcame these patterns to start moving normally again. Though better, I'm still guarded. I long to just be free with my movements without thinking about it. For example, I am still very careful about how I get into bed, the car, get down on the floor, etc. I just read a response by @nowtimecoach about conditioning, where she just repeated the movement over and over again. That was helpful! But I'm curious to hear what worked for you.its almost like I have to relearn normal, because that's not automatic anymore!
    Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi. Hoolie. I'm 84 and am careful walking, getting into and out of bed and the car.
    I don't want to fall and break a hip, like so many other seniors do.

So even though you're much younger, I wouldn't worry about being protective in moving around.
    Just keep being careful in mind and don't let it become a conditioning.