1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Moving + losing cat= pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Shabda-girl, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Shabda-girl

Shabda-girl Peer Supporter

We just moved from Colorado to Texas a week ago which was already stressful, and now my sweet, sweet cat, who is indoors, somehow got out a few days ago and hasn't come back yet. The anxiety and stress and depression from all of this is causing so much pain everywhere and I'm trying so hard to just let it all be as it is but I'm having a hard time right now.

2. Leslie

Leslie Well known member

I'm so sorry that you're going through such a hard time. I'm an animal lover myself, cats in particular, so I can empathize with all the emotions that come with worrying about your friend. Be as forgiving to yourself as you can for having a hard time letting it all be right now. It's very difficult to do when the going gets rough, especially if you're just learning how to actually do it. Commend yourself for even having the presence of mind to try to let it all be right now, plenty of other cannot even get that far. Journal as much as you can, don't forget to breathe, and remember to cut yourself a break & take some time for you during all of this chaos.

cherrybomb and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Megan, I couldn't put it any better than Leslie already has. And cats - those critters will do what they will do! I volunteer at the city animal shelter, specifically on the cat team (keeping the kitties socialized while they're waiting to be adopted) and we have so many owners looking for their darn cats who managed to slip outside when someone's back was turned for a second. Have your kids put flyers everywhere, on every doorstep, and keep calling the local vets and all the shelters and you'll know you've done everything you can - then it's up to her/him. Keep breathing. This too shall pass! (That's what I keep telling myself).

Hugs,

Jan

Shabda-girl, Leslie and Karen like this.
  4. Shabda-girl

Leslie and Jan thank you so much for the support and the reminders to be forgiving with myself and and to remember that this too shall pass. I am doing all I can to get my Information out there and then I just have to let go and trust that whatever happens is meant to be. Your kind words are really helping me and I have been reading them over and over. They mean so much more to me than you know. Thank you for taking the time to offer me such wonderful support. It was really, really hard for me to do, but for today's journal activity, I wrote a letter to my kitty and I actually felt better after doing so. I'm big on journaling as a great form of therapy but this was so painful that I thought I was going to throw up when I was doing it, but was happily surprised to learn that even journaling about some of the hardest, in your face moments, is still very freeing. I'm proud of myself for making myself sit down and write her a letter.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Hi Megan, I am new to the forum but had read your previous post where you mentioned you were moving to Austin. I hope you're starting to feel more settled, I too live in Austin -- I am a Brit but moved here 13 years ago! If there is anything I can do to help you locally, even just a coffee with someone that understands some of what you're experiencing, I would be more than happy to. And hoping that your beloved cat came home and was just checking out the new city!

Shabda-girl and JanAtheCPA like this.
  6. cherrybomb

cherrybomb Peer Supporter

(((hugs)))

Shabda-girl likes this.
  7. Shabda-girl

Thank you. Tears