1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 17 Most Helpful, Most Difficult....(eczema)

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Tanya, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Tanya

Tanya New Member

Hello Everyone,
    In response to today's question to ponder...the most helpful aspect of the program, for me, has been the journaling. It has also been the most difficult for me...requiring the most discipline. I often notice that my symptoms sometimes rise as I sit down to write and know I have to face questions and events that are complex and emotionally challenging. I want to jot down a few things and then walk away. Yet, I have tried to think deeply about the running lists and the journal techniques and really give myself the time to sit with those feelings and articulate them. I often feel very frustrated as I write, feeling the emotions as if they just happened, and a few times I have cried for long periods of time. What I didn't expect was to make connections between the experiences I have written about - it allowed me to look at myself and the events differently - as if there was a new way of telling myself the 'story'.
    In the last week my symptoms have plateaued. I know it is not advised to keep track of the symptoms but instead to carry on, ignoring the changes. For the most part I can do this. I think the expectation is that symptoms will continually improve and when they don't I begin to wonder if I've missed something. I know that healing is an uneven process and that the focus should be on changing my response the pain/symptoms...focusing on retraining the brain when faced with emotional triggers. Happy for the progress and looking forward to more :)
    Thanks for listening,
    Tanya

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow, Tanya you are doing great -- exactly the way its supposed to work. Feel the feelings and then release them. You do the releasing in the form of crying
    sometimes. You can also reframe the meaning you have to those emotions. After your done journaling try writing in a feel good journal about all the great times you have had in your life. Also, relax and meditate daily ok.

I love this, there is always a new way to tell your story, its your memories -- You hold them and you can change them and let them go or hold them and experience them in new ways.

Awesome, yes be "outcome independent" by not keeping up with the plateaus or the time it takes, those plateaus are just tms trying to distract you. You have this.... well done my friend.:)