1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Most disheartening thing I've been told

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by LouVes, Oct 31, 2018.

1. LouVes

LouVes New Member

Right from the beginning I decided to take the diagnosis of pudendal neuralgia with a dose of calm and patience. I started studying different ways to get rid of chronic pain, like neuroplasticity exercises. I was reactive and believed that I could beat this thing.
    But, two doctors have said things that have made my hope and "light" plummet.
    - Good luck, it's a real bastard to live with
    - You're going to be like this for the rest of your life. The nerve is damaged and neuropathic pain doesn't go away. Take the drugs (anti-depressants) and you'll be fine

Talk about raining on my parade.

Words are so powerful and medical professionals, more than anyone else, should think very carefully before speaking. Theyneed to think about how they're going to phrase encouragement. They get to go home and kick back with a glass of wine in front of the TV and cuddle up to their significant other while the person they've just said, "Good luck, it's a bastard to live with" to, gets to go home and think about how on earth they're going to get through the next 40 years without doing themselves some drastic harm.

If TMS revolves around the fear, some medical professionals need to be avoided at all costs. I was in a very dark place 5 days ago and I'm feeling hopeful now because of this programme, forum and the wonderful people on it.
    Thank you all so much for delivering the opposite of these disheartening things I've been told.

BeneLog, Nissou and Tennis Tom like this.