1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Most disheartening thing a doc said

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Cherylie, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Cherylie

Cherylie New Member

My ultra-cool neurosurgeon - top of his game, only the best staff, son of the founder of the practice - said the most upsetting thing to me of all, and it was the delivery as much as the content that sent me into a panic.

I had such bad neck pain and nerve pain into my hands that I was ready for surgery NOW when I went to see my neurosurgeon. After the insurance-required three injections (mild relief for +/- 30 days), I was on the brink of tears all the time. I gave in and began using Vicoden, and to everyone's amazement, I continued to function just fine at work. To me, that was evidence that my pain was real. I could load up on narcs and still complete every assignment at the same rate, with the same accuracy, so this wasn't "in my head," which is what I was always afraid people would say.

On the final pre-op check, my hands were on fire and my arms were electric. I was a mess, a total mess. I couldn't understand why this guy was so blase about my pain. He told me the C5-6-7 fusion would likely do little for my hand pain, and then casually mentioned something about my arthritis.

I said, "No one's ever told me I have arthritis." I'm sure it was more of a screech than a statement. But that was it. Nope, this fusion isn't going to help half (or more) of your issues. You're f^cked.

And that, ladies and gents - EPIPHANY - is why, after the fusion, my neck pain greatly subsided BUT MY HAND AND ARM PAIN DIDN'T. Cripes! I never put 2 and 2 together until just now.

Awwwww, man. In that heightened state, so freaked out over every little thing, his suggestion that I'd be living eternity with hand and arm pain became reality in my mind, which then reinforced the pain I'd been having, which reinforced the "knowledge" in my mind that I have residual nerve damage.

Sheesh. Now that I wrote all this, it's like it would have been better to be a journal entry than an answer to a simple question. But it's here now, and it's staying.

EPIPHANY!

Stella likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Yea we hear it all the time, your to old and we got to cut into your arm with this incision if you ever want to be normal.
    I've had Doctors tell me id never have a normal life with spondelothesis.
    I don't ever remember a Doctor telling me its alright, all you have to do is stop fretting so much and get your mind calmed down
    and after 30 days of practice or so you should start to feel shifts in the pain. Then it wont be long and you will heal.

I never had that hope come from any Doctor except this one MD named Sarno
    Im glad I got to meet him in his memoirs, Healing back pain- the mindbody prescription
    the divided mind and mind over back pain. There I was reading this Hope and help for a future from an MD that cared
    It meant the world to me and I believed him. Soon I was on my way to winning this 25 year battle and I didn't look back.

We come to a fork in the rd. eventually and you will have to really decide then and there-
    I am going to think of what emotional cause could be behind this pain any time I hurt-
    instead of well I wonder if its inflammation or it might really be a bone spur.
    No, that'll get you no where, when you really know that you know.
    You'll always think psychological if you ever have any pain or anxiety, always.

Then when the Dr. says this doom and gloom stuff - you'll know better

Bless you