1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

morning stiffness question?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mncjl123, Jun 15, 2016.

1. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

I remember when I was younger, I would bound out of bed.

As the years go by, and my tms is being healed at a slow rate, I still encounter "extreme" morning stiffness. LIke Stiff man syndrome.

Even though I get up to go to the restroom 3-4 times a night with my interstitial cystitis, each step is so incredibly stiff. It isn't until I start moving around after an hour in the morning that I loosen up. Is this common as we age? Or at 55, should I still be able to bound out of bed without being stiff? Is this all TMS too or the aging process?

2. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

34 readers of this question and no answers?

3. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

It's probably a bit of both. I've never been much of a bounder-out-bedder so my yardstick is lacking on that front. But yes, I do have a measure of gronkiness. Especially in my Achilles which are tight as tight can be, leading to a hoppity walk first thing. I suspect that is a tms thing though (it has a backstory) so I don't pay it much heed.

Have you tried transdermal magnesium? It's brill for easing such things and relieves pain to boot. May even help dem bones of yours.

4. Bunneh

Bunneh Peer Supporter

Yep, morning stiffnes often causes my back to make popping sounds in random places. And I'm 29. I also feel stiffness in my arms and hands.

5. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

I'm about to turn 49 and I'm like the bloody tin man from the Wizard of Oz getting out of bed in the morning.

I've always equated this morning stiffness to just getting old but maybe it is TMS. Once I'm 'warmed up' I'm generally fine...I've hiked/run 10 miles today with some mild foot discomfort but with little other issue.

I've also noticed I've started doing that 'old age' thing of making little grunting noises whenever I sit down or stand up...oh the joys eh. :)

6. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

Thanks huckleberry! It makes me feel a little better. Your tin man description is so perfect. Because that is how I am. I hope it is old age, but I don't know anyone old around me to ask.