1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Morning Back Spasms

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Jazz, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Jazz

Jazz Newcomer

Hi. I'm new to the Forum. Thought I was cured of TMS about 5 years ago after reading Dr Sarno's books. Took about 3 months but I was about 90 to 95% better after 30 years of low back pain and frequent acute muscle spasms. Unfortunately the back spasms have recently returned. I get them first thing in the morning as soon as I get out of bed which is way different from what used to be the pattern. The only way I can get some relief is about 30 minutes of walking but that's very difficult because of the crippling pain. Have now committed to the SEP to see if that will help.

2. Zoeinoz

Zoeinoz New Member

I can imagine it's really disheartening to have the pain return. Though if you've had success before you can definitely do again and hopefully this time for good. Good on you for not giving in to it. Best of luck with the program!

3. Jazz

Jazz Newcomer

Many thanks Zoeinoz. Really appreciate your comments.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Jazz. I'm sorry that pain has returned in the form of back spasms, but am confident that if you follow the SEProgram, it will go away.

It is common to heal after learning about and believing in TMS emotions causing physical pain, and that it may return.
    It's often because of new events that may trigger old ones. Do some journaling to discover what has gone on since you healed before.

I hope you can continue to take walks despite pain because staying active is important in healing. You might also try some easy exercise videos on Youtube for seniors like me. They get you going without a lot of effort.

5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jazz,

Welcome to the Forum here. I hope you find the relief and support that you are after.

Good Luck,

Andy B

6. Jazz

Jazz Newcomer

Thanks Walt. Used to be a bit of an exercise nut and I still stay as active as I can. Pilates, light gym work and 2 German Shepherds that insist on their daily walks keep me going when I get over the spasms. I'm not going to give up on that. Will try your tip on journaling and see what comes out.
    Thanks Andy for your best wishes.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Jazz. Walking those two dogs will be one of the best things you can do for yourself and for them. Pilates also is great exercise. Journaling may help you to discover repressed emotions you never thought were causing you problems. Keep up the great work. Have a very thankful Thanksgiving. Did you know that Abraham Lincoln made it a national holiday?

8. Jazz

Jazz Newcomer

Hi Walt. Did not know that Abraham Lincoln made thanksgiving a national holiday but I'm not from your part of the world (I was born in Scotland and have spent most of my working life in Africa) and sorry I've only just realised that your thanksgiving holiday was yesterday so hope you really enjoyed your day.

9. Stella

Stella Well known member

Hi Jazz,
    This program will help you become "aware" of all the personality traits and thoughts that can create pain.

When you walk, talk to the pain/your back. Talk with belief and emotion telling the pain to leave. "Get out of my back. I don't care how much you hurt I am not going to give up. I can do this. Yes I can. "

You will succeed.