1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

More success!

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Solange, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Solange

Solange Well known member

Joined a teeny, tiny gym a fortnight ago. It consists of a circuit of about 9 different types of machines and the circuit takes about half an hour but you can go round again if you want. I haven't got to that level yet!

I've wanted to do this for some time now but lacked the confidence and was basically afraid that I would cause myself pain. Fear was holding me back and the previous associations, over a number of years, of this exercise environment being aimed at 'strengthening core muscles' or 'lessening back pain.'

Anyway, I took the plunge and although all the exercise equipment works my back and shoulder, NONE of the exercises are aimed at anything other than improving my general fitness and mobility levels.

I was quite scared first time, envisaging all sorts of pain but I told myself that I would do it no matter what because I wanted to and I told my stubborn brain also that I would carry on doing it and I would accept what happened but not let it put me off.

I really and truly lived the 'outcome independence' experience and you know what? After the first three visits I had a headache for a few days but I didn't let it bother me. In fact, I despised this pathetic attempt to put me off. I just KNEW this was TMS and I didn't care.

After that, the headache hung around the margins a bit and then came and went a bit but mainly disappeared and the gym seemed to have no effect one way or another.

I am now going there feeling pretty confident and enjoying using my body again. I feel great to have made this step and already feel much healthier. I just totally dismiss any twinges as normal for someone getting their body working again after a long time and recognize any fear as TMS trying to suck me back in. But I am not going there again and quickly manage to keep positive,

I am amazed to be doing this. It really is proof of the power of TMS to bring terrible pain to your body and the ability of your mind to bring about healing.

Perhaps the most important things which have allowed me to do this are being kinder and more allowing to myself and quite simply, frequently checking in with my emotions.

Hope this helps someone.

Raj s, Sheree, Ellen and 4 others like this.
  2. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

Solange!
    Your entire story is an inspiration ! I love reading about your successes, tenacity, and insights. I know that it has taken a lot of work to get to this point and you inspire me to keep plugging away!

Solange, Becca and Forest like this.
  3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow, Solange, this is fantastic! I love what you said about outcome independence. It sounds like you really did live the "outcome independence experience," and got some pretty fantastic results :)
    Thanks so much for sharing this with us. Congratulations on all your success! dancea

Solange likes this.
  4. Becca

Becca Well known member

Wahoo! Congrats, Solange!! @hoolie is right - your story is very inspiring. I think it absolutely will help someone! I fully echo Forest in saying CONGRATS on all your success! :D

Solange likes this.
  5. blake

blake Well known member

How wonderful! I'm thrilled for you. Sounds like your tms is no longer able to outwit you.
    Congrats!