1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 6 More pain/Is this for me

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Dirk, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Dirk

Dirk Newcomer

Hi all,

Been doing what I can to give an honest effort into accepting TMS as the cause of my pain, but I can't help but think there is something physically wrong with my hands/wrists. I was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome around 2 months ago and have been doing physical therapy to no avail. I am forced to use the computer for work and school, and yesterday I had to use a computer for a longer period of time than usual. The pain is as bad as, if not worse than usual, and my hands are noticeably weaker/numb. This kind of pain only comes the following day after I've had to use a computer for an extended period of time, or if I've overworked my hands physically.
    I have been doing the journaling exercises, and do see signs of TMS that other have mentioned, but I can't help but think there is something physically wrong. The emotions I journal about do not feel entirely repressed, and I have consciously acknowledged a lot of these emotional issues in past. I really would like to acknowledge TMS as the cause of all of my pain, but part of me thinks that I'm just trying to trick my brain. Is there any way to tell if the pain really is physical? I would hate to put myself in an emotionally confused state just to ignore a legitimate problem in my hands/wrists.
    Thanks for the support, and any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Dirk. Has your doctor who diagnosed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome given you any advice on how to help you? Dr. Sarno writes that CPDS may be a symptom of TMS, but further study needs to be made. Is it possible for you to work short periods on the computer, taking frequent breaks? I've also seen some videos on Youtube for exercises to help[ with CPS, but would ask your doctor about them before trying them. Meanwhile, I suggest you consider your wrist and hand pain to be TMS and see what emotions might be involved in causing the pain.

3. Dirk

Dirk Newcomer

Doctor has recommended some stretches to do, hand braces, etc. which aggravate my symptoms and make the pain/numbness considerably worse. I'll stick with the program and consider the problem to be TMS for now, but it's hard to get the idea out of my mind that something is wrong physically. I appreciate the advice.

4. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

The gorgeous soul who created this forum overcame similar problems. Explore @Forest for inspiration and insight.

TMS healing can only help. It reduces stress, it enhances emotional awareness and intelligence and you have an awesome support network a comment away. Give it a decent shot and a bit of your time. Who knows, you may be spectacularly surprised.

mike2014 likes this.