1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 11 More on exercise and stress

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by abuglet, Jul 26, 2015.

1. abuglet

abuglet New Member

I succumbed and took a dose of ibuprofen yesterday morning. But now that I am off the muscle relaxants, my husband and I could share a bottle of wine in the evening....first time in three months! It was wonderful, and I had a blissful night's sleep...the most normal one I have had since this process started. I walked three miles today...still apprehensive about sitting, but I sat through a 60 mile round trip drive yesterday...only was uncomfortable during the last 15 minutes of it. I suppose after reading armchair linguist's post i remain apprehensive about work stress increasing the pain when I start teaching in late September.

I figure i have two months to get back into the swing of things...sit on the bus to get to the office, wander around the campus, work on a research article, so I am going to break up these activities into bits and do them one by one to build up confidence. Is that the way, or just go gungho?
    . The people on this forum have been just super with their suggestions.

KevinB likes this.
  2. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

Hey abuglet,

I haven't been here too long, but I have just recently finished the SEP and am 100% cured! It's amazing and I am grateful everyday that I learned of TMS, this site, and all of you brave people in the same boat actually trying to address the PROBLEM, not just the symptoms, which sadly is the common medical practice nowadays......

Anyhow, I know that "calendar watching" can hinder progress. You'll come across this more further down the SEP, but I thought I'd offer it now. Basically, you want to just be as present as possible, ignore the pain and focus on what's going on mentally/emotionally. They say that placing too much expectation on when we'll be recovered can actually prolong the pain. So perhaps in two months you'll be 100%, or perhaps in two weeks or two days, who knows?!? The point is to do the SEP work, keep it in the day, and deal with your academic workload with patience and kindness to yourself. Also, probably not a good idea to take on too much work all-at-once, spread it out so you have plenty of time and energy to work on yourself and TMS, which is the most important!!! You can't show up in life or work at 100% if you're in constant pain.

Keep at it and stay positive.

Kev

JoeB1 and Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, abuglet. Kevin's reply to you is great. What an inspiration! He has healed 100 percent from TMS since finished the SEP program. He's right when he says don't set a date to heal. Just keep working in the SEP and do any activity at a comfortable pace. Don't be pressured by the academic work or anything else.

It's great that you're taking walks and sitting longer on drives. And some wine is fine.

It sounds to me like you're making wonderful progress. Keep doing what you are and you'll be a new woman!