I did not go to MIT, and I am not a neurosurgeon, I am just an ordinary person with brain (hopefully). Here is my view on the subject, written 6 years ago:
Not being a psychologist or a physician, I am attempting to explain the difference between cure and healing from my layman’s point of view.
Picture a “bucket” of resources that your body needs to survive and thrive. Imagine that if there is a hole through which your resources are being depleted, the outflow would grow as you accumulate destructive pressures on your body along your life path. If you don’t learn how to properly react to the pressures and prevent the hole from growing bigger, sooner or later you will lose the ability to replenish your “bucket.”
Cure usually means that you physically “plug” the hole or increase the inflow of resources by getting surgery or taking medication. But an externally applied plug may not always stop the hole from re-opening again, which would require taking medication forever or repeat surgeries.
Healing means that you figure out how to absorb and dispose of negative effects of life pressures in a way that does not increase the drain on your resources. Healing means that you utilize the internal resources of your body and mind to become more resilient.
Everything in our body is connected, and the nervous system, being involved in every psychological and physiological process in our mind and body, can act either as a helper or as an enemy. It will mobilize and redirect your resources to where they are needed, or, if your internal resources are insufficient to overcome the stress, it will start diverting resources from other parts of the body to the one that is in crisis. By the same token, if we are worrying and stressing out when we are sick, we are putting additional undue pressure on the nervous system and are re-directing our resources to unproductive activities, which worrying often is.
BTW, each time I went backpacking in the wilderness like in this video, all of my pains went away - until I went back to my daily stresses. My avatar picture taken in one of those places.