1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Mirror image of pain in foot and hand?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Knut, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Knut

Knut New Member

Hi!

Question regarding pulsating/throbbing/piercing pain in the left foot: I find often when I have these throbbing sensations, I have a corresponding though slightly milder version of the same pain in the left hand. Also, when I have a piercing pain between for example my big toe and the second toe, I have simultaneously the same piercing pain between my thumb and first finger. This is rather disconcerting!

Also, I'm wondering whether anybody have some reflections around why pain seems to be intensified on one side of the body. For example, I've been reading that the right brain hemisphere corresponds more to emotions and such, an the right brain controls the left side of the body. I have pain on both sides, but definitely more on the entire left side of the body, up to the point where I some days have pain starting in the muscles on the left side of the throat, and I feel this burning all along the left side, in left elbow and arm and in my left buttock and left foot. Also, it seems to switch between throbbing pain and piercing pain, such that when piercing pain is more present, I feel piercing pain in all of my system, whereas when throbbing pain is present, i feel throbbing pain all over my body. And anywhere in between. Argh!!?

2. Adventureseeker

Adventureseeker Peer Supporter

Your question is really interesting, and I do wish that someone with more medical knowledge will answer it. I have the same problem: My legs, buttocks and hands hurt on both sides, but my left side is definitely worse!

3. Knut

Knut New Member

Yeah!

I'm wondering if this has something to do with increased brain-activity/responsiveness/alertness/whatnot on one side. For example, when it comes to tinnitus, I've read that the experience of tinnitus could be a form of epileptic activity in the brain in the region that processes auditory signals, such that the noise one hears is actually a normal background noise that is under normal circumstances "filtered out" by the brain, but in tinnitus sufferers, this noise is amplified rather than filtered out. I am wondering whether the same could be true to the sensation of pain on the entire left side of the body, where an increase in amplitude translates into heightened sensitivity to otherwise more or less normal sensations...

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

...there are so many things little and big that are tms, I wouldn't have time to write about all of them":
    Told to icelikeaninja by Dr. Sarno

Have you been checked out by a physician to determine if it is anything serious that needs to be treated allopathically, preferably by a TMS savvy doctor who can differentiate if it's of TMS/psychsomatic origin. There is a list of TMS physicians at the this site.

5. Knut

Knut New Member

I haven't been checked by a TMS physician, I live in Norway and haven't found any here. But I've taken lots of bloodwork and been seeing physiotherapists and osteopaths, all conclude there's no structural abnormality, and all blood tests come up negative. No Lyme, no chikungunya, nothing weird. I recognize myself in all the TMS personality traits, and have been under severe stress the last couple of years, and in addition to that have had some traumatic experiences lately, as well as a history of intense meditation and a somewhat moderate use of psychedelic beverages. I read Sarno's books as well as Steve O's, and there's no doubt in my conscious mind that I have TMS. The same can not be said for unconscious activity, as the symptoms and weird sensations still frighten me into doubting and thinking in circles, but it has gotten better than last year. Last year I had severe pain under the feet and sciatic trouble, as well as pins/needles all over my body, thumps and twitches, chest palpitations, skipped beats, squeezing pressure and general malaise and panic attacks. Now there's more of a more or less constant heightened nervous activity, and I have an elevated startle response to sudden sounds, as well as startle response to sudden body symptoms. I've got days where I barely notice any symptoms at all, and these are the very same days where I don't feel nervous. I always say that "yes, but the reason I feel nervous is because of my symptoms" but there's almost always a psychological trigger. For example, I even find that my thumps of pain can come on the very same moment I have a negative thought regarding myself, lack of self esteem, self criticism, and thump, here we go. I also find that whenever I am in a situation towards which I have resistance, finding myself in conversation with people who somehow distress me, or having to go to a 3-day shift at work, my symptoms increase....

6. Tennis Tom

"If it ends with "itis" or "algia" or "syndrome" and doctors can't figure out what causes it, then it might be TMS." Dave the Mod @ TMSHelp​

From your allopathic work-ups, that nothing structural was found, if there was betting on TMS or Not TMS, I would put big money on that it's TMS! It may be time to skype with a TMS practitioner, many can be found on the PRACTITIONERS LIST at this site. You are a very good writer, if you could add paragraphs it would make things a little easier to read. Thanks.

7. Knut

Knut New Member

Thanks! Oh really, it's possible to skype with practitioners that can be found on this site? I didn't know that...I'll check it out. I currently have a scheduled appointment with a therapist who does Somatic Experiencing ala. Peter Levine and looking forward to that, though I suspect that trauma is just the top of the iceberg.

8. Tennis Tom

ABSOLUTELY! Here's a link to the list at this site:

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist#Via_Internet_or_Telephone (Find a TMS Doctor or Therapist)

I don't want to derail your current appointment, not knowing anything about somatic therapy, but for myself, I would go with a TMS savvy practitioner to get more bang for the buck. I did some sessions in person and by phone with now deceased Don Dubin and he told me he never had to do more then a dozen sessions at most with anyone to get the TMS message across.

There is such a wealth of good information at this site that Forest has created that it is sometimes daunting to see it all. I would advise anyone who is confused about their TMS to just jump in anywhere to the TMS circle, it's a good place to get lost in. All the info is good! TMS like the subconscious is not linear. Jump into the labyrinth and work your way around.

9. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Knut,
    I think you are focusing too much on your pain/symptoms. All the different ways the unconscious brain can create pain and other TMS symptoms may be interesting, but analyzing it just keeps you focused on your body. That is the purpose of the pain/symptoms. You need to shift to thinking about the psychological causes, but even that should only be done for a limited amount of time every day. Then shift into focusing on living your life--outcome independence. That's where recovery lies.

Tennis Tom and readytoheal like this.
  10. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

Hi Knut,

Are you right handed?

I am left handed and most of my symptoms are on right side of my body. I used to think it was because I was a klutz on my right side, but I believe I favor my left side, so my so-called smart mind picks on the little guy. That means I need more empathy.

11. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

Same! The only solution is to toughen up the mind and face those situations when you must. I say when you must because it is also good to do more of what you like. Since life is not always like that, those situations have to be looked at differently. Think of yourself as being more capable to handle those situations and visualize the resistance becoming tolerance.