1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Minor symptoms and sleep improving?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by hawaii_five0, Dec 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

Wondering if anyone who has gone thru the healing process has experienced something like this? Namely more "minor" symptoms (tinnitus, frequent urination) and sleep improving as a precursor to more "major" symptoms (pain, obsessive thinking) improving? I know @TG957 hinted at this in her book (that your sleep improved early on before other things?).

Since I started this lovely TMS journey, about a year ago, my sleep started getting worse and worse and also had crazy frequent urination, not just in the night but all the time. (This all accompanied obsessive thinking and back/hip/pelvis pain). This summer was horrific, some nights I would get up every hour and struggle to ever get back to sleep no matter what I did. But starting about 1-2 months ago, both the frequent urination and the sleep have improved really significantly, even though the discomfort and overthinking are still there, possibly even worse. So I am extremely grateful to God, the universe or whatever that at least some symptoms have improved. The most significant thing I have done differently in that 1-2 months period is started going thru the Schubiner book Unlearn Your Pain, and meditating much more regularly. I still am "bad" at meditating, but maybe it is actually having some effect.

Any thoughts welcome
    Thanks!
    James

fridaynotes likes this.
  2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I attribute my bouts of frequent urination to my pelvic placement. My pelvis is very forward, I have terrible posture from holding my body in tension patterns. When things really flare up so does the frequent urination. I think its anxiety. My sleep has gotten better, now getting worse again. That I attribute to nervous breathing patterns at night - more anxiety. I too am very slowly working my way through Schubiners book.
    Remember there is no bad meditation. Your mind drifts, you become aware of the drift into thought and go back to meditating. Every time you are aware it is a success! You seem to be doing great! Congratulations!

hawaii_five0 likes this.
  3. fridaynotes

fridaynotes Well known member

hmmm… this is interesting to ponder.
    the anxiety of the pain/discomforts can often lead to poor sleep. i think that when one has been doing the inner work, that sleep will naturally begin to normalize. not sure how they fits in directly with overcoming tms symptoms, but i would imagine that as you heal, sleep becomes easier and more natural.
    i’ve had minor issues heal while still dealing with some larger ones, and i’m not sure how my sleeping linked up with that… but i do find the more nervous, anxious and scared i am about the pains/discomforts, the worse i sleep!

hawaii_five0 likes this.
  4. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

Thanks Cactusflower! Your posture comment reminds me of Dan Buglio: he has a picture of himself on his main page somewhere where his body was literally twisted from him holding it in tension. But all related to his then-anxiety, all got better.

Regarding the Schubiner book: are you doing his meditations much and how do you like them? I have been doing a mix of the mediations from his web site and some from InsightTimer. So far I have mainly been doing guided meditations.

Yeah sleep is a blessing OMG. I would not say I am doing great per se, but having anything improve is a blessing. In the Schubiner book in Chapter 9 he has some kind of affirmation like "I want to get better, I can get better, I will get better, I am getting better, I am OK, I am better than ok, I am great!". So I think and hope I am in the "getting better" category, I keep telling myself that.

Hope you are well. Have a good day.