1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 39 Mindfulness Meditation

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MikeG, Nov 11, 2015.

1. MikeG

MikeG New Member

• "After you meditate take a few minutes and make a forum post on how it went. Did you have trouble meditating? Do you have any questions regarding how to do it? More importantly how did meditating make you feel?"
    For years I started each day with Jon Kabat-Zinn's guided relaxation and mindfulness meditation (recorded on cassette tape). Somehow I got out of the habit, and haven't done it for some years. Even if I could find the cassettes, which I doubt, there's nothing around to play them on!

In the meantime I've taken up Transcendental Meditation, and been pretty faithful to a 20-minutes, twice-a-day schedule. So doing the mindfulness meditation prescribed on Day 39 of the SEP was a refreshing change for me. No problem getting right into it -- it felt comfortably familiar. In a way, I think it whetted my appetite for my upcoming experience with Michael Brown's Presence Process. I don't know much about that process, having not read the book yet, but I'm curious about the practice time required and whether it'll be something I want to do in addition to, or instead of, the TM practice.

Overall, I'm feeling good about the SEP as I enter into its final few days. My back is slightly better, I think, and I've been able to incorporate a little bit of running into my long outdoor walks. I'm thrilled about that. I have Schubiner's Unlearn Your Pain teed up and plan to follow his program for the next few weeks.

Thanks to everyone who initially created this community, and to those who continue it. This is really making a difference in my life!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi,Mike. I'd stick with the SEP and if you feel you have the time and mental energy, do the TM.

I think you can find some Kabat-Zinn videos on Youtube. I'll check into that now.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, there is even a Guided Meditation video by Kabat-Zinn on Youtube.