1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alex B. Migrating symptoms

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hello,

I have learned of TMS just a few weeks ago and had experienced some positive changes in my back pain.
    However, along with these positive changes I am also getting new pains.
    it seems that every other day a new location hurts!
    the "new" pains come and go and change locations.
    any ideas why this might be happening?

Thank you!

Roco

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2016
  2. Alex Bloom LCSW

Alex Bloom LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi, thanks for the question, this is a good one!

You're not alone in your experience of "migrating" pain. Many, many of the people I work with go through some very similar things. Often my clients will become discouraged when they feel like they are backsliding after making positive headway with their new approach, but I try to tell them that migrating/new pain is a good news! It means that we are taking the right approach. The fact that pain begins to move around in response to what is essentially a psychological intervention helps prove that the problem isn't physical. And this is what we want to do, so that you can have more and more confidence when confronting the pain and the fear that it generates.

Remember, if we look at your pain from the TMS perspective we know that it is serving a function. By confronting it, facing underlying issues, attending to anxiety, and generally doing what you have to to address the root of the problem you will find that you can start to experience some relief. Hooray! Unfortunately, your unconscious mind may not be so happy about this. So it looks in desperation for anything it can find to keep you scared, preoccupied and intimidated. And hey, pain has worked before, so why not some more of that! We call this an extinction burst, a desperate effort on the part of your unconscious to maintain the status quo. And it's good news. You're on the right track.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.