1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Migraine aura frequent

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Artmuzz, Dec 15, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Artmuzz

Artmuzz Well known member

I have been having migraine aura episodes where my vision becomes distorted and I see multicoloured zig zag lines in my vision for the past 10 years but usually they only occur every 2 years but now the older I’m getting I’m noticing that they are becoming more frequent where they can occur once a month which is worrying me.

When I started getting those migraine aura symptoms I went to my doctor who examined me but found nothing wrong. He told me to visit my optician which I did but they told me my retinas were healthy and my overall eye health was good. They then concluded it could be a brain problem due to anxiety.

I am under the impression this could be TMS but I’m still worried.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, @Artmuzz, "Worry" is, I think, your middle name. I expect someone can give you the specific reassurance you're seeking about migraine auras being TMS, or you can keyword search Success Stories.

Remind us of what emotional work you've done since joining us in 2017? The SEP, or Alan's program? Dr Schubiner's anxiety workbook? How about therapy and possibly medication?

I've been suggesting lately that certain people take the ACEs test and read the accompanying article. It's a simple tool that a new member here reminded me about. Among other things it talks about the physical as well as emotional effects of adverse childhood experiences:
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/03/02/387007941/take-the-ace-quiz-and-learn-what-it-does-and-doesnt-mean (Take The ACE Quiz — And Learn What It Does And Doesn't Mean)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
    Ellen likes this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think what you're describing are visual migraines. Visual disturbance without pain, as in a regular migraine. I get them more frequently now then I used to. My opthamologist says it is common for them to increase in number as we age. They are considered benign, but are disconcerting. Mine only last about 15 minutes. I don't think it's anything you need to worry about.

JanAtheCPA likes this.