1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Mentally erasing the Pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Tallthinguy, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Tallthinguy

Tallthinguy Newcomer

I seem to be able to mentally erase the pain with my conscious mind while in bed at night thinking about each painful joint at a time. It takes some effort to do this but when all the pain is gone I feel giddy inside like I am am exposed and vulnerable without the pain. It's like floating in mid air.

I find that as my work day progresses so does my pain. I don't have the time and quiet to consciously eliminate the pain.

Anybody with similar experiences?

karinabrown likes this.
  2. Lydia

Lydia Peer Supporter

Hi there,

Yes, sometimes it's possible to 'use' mind-power and certain thoughts to erase pain, I know that too. It's just one of the techniques I've learned in this program: talking to the mind and asking to stop the pain. Is that what you mean?

But just using this one technique brings me nowhere at the end. It can become a habit like taking a pill. And I need to do it over and over again, because the pain pops up again and again, the root and cause are still there, you see. And because nothing really changes, it is exhausting and causing more inner rage )-:

In a way there is no development inside, no gaining insight about me, and why the pain is there. The pain wants us to change something on an essential level in our life... Erasing pain is like only focussing on the symptoms... do you relate to that?

Going to the emotional root or recognizing personality traits as a cause and learning about that, eventually works much better for me. But sometimes I use this 'erase' technique, and I'm grateful that it works, because than I can do what I was doing (like driving the car). This technique is for some special and specific situations, not as a general tool.

Great that you see how your pain somehow is related to your workday. When you take a closer look, what is really happening then? If you shine a light on all the inner processes, sit down and write about it, honestly and carefully taking a inner look... then there's actually most of the time no need to erase the pain, because the pain will fade away on its own over time. And that's such a beautiful and natural process.

I am convinced that focussing your energy on the need of the pain and the processes behind it, is much more effective than focussing on the pain itself.

Hope you relate to this all. Wish you well!

Ellen and healingfromchronicpain like this.
  3. Tallthinguy

Tallthinguy Newcomer

Thanks for your insight. The pain seems to be worse this weekend after raking my yard and I haven't been able to erase this new pain consciously either.

Two weeks ago I felt the same way after painting our bathroom. When the pain seems worse after a activity like raking or painting it is hard for my mind to conceive that it is emotional pain and not related to the activity that caused it.

How does the conscious mind convince the unconscious mind?

4. Lydia

Lydia Peer Supporter

Hi,

Great question! I guess you shouldn't try to convince with force, but in a more gentle way: with information, gathered from your experiences very honestly and precisely. Do you journal about yourself each day?
    And have you read the TMS recovery program already? On this pre-page there is a great video about this topic: why people stay stuck on the idea that the pain is caused by a physical activity or accident. Just read and watch it, over and over again...

I had the same issue with painting, and I thought a while about it as if the pain was caused by this physical activity. Yet, there were so much more signs that the origin/cause was actually in my mind. And that impressed me enough to throw away the doubts and thoughts about pain arising from physical activities.
    I had several accidents too in my life, and immediately pain popped up. So, for the mind the cause was clear, right? But stopping those activities didn't stop the pain for 100%... So there was more going on. Some day I simply stopped thinking physical... Very liberating.

Doubt is just a mind-trap and actually reinforcing the pain-cycle...

Of course it can be the case that you've overloaded your body and that the raking was too much. Do you relate to that? Recovering is also about being kind to the body and give it permission to find its natural state again. Pain caused by the mind doesn't mean that the body instantly is able to do everything I want (-:

I would say, gather as much information as possible to find out about emotional causes, personality traits and the other topics that you can investigate in the SEProgram. Don't believe your mind too much, be kind to your body, and I'm sure, somewhere on your way you'll find your key (-:

SebastianM and Ellen like this.
  5. SebastianM

SebastianM Peer Supporter

Great words Lydia.. That's what I needed at the moment. Thank you :)