1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 6 Meditation

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MSZ812, May 26, 2015.

1. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

I chose to sit outside for my meditation time. At first, I focused on my breathing. That lasted all but 15 seconds, and then I heard some loud music blaring from a neighbors yard, so I moved to the front porch. I tried again. After a minute, I felt some fur brush up against my shin. One of the neighborhood cats decided to pay me a visit. Although my meditation session was now over, this interruption was much better. I forgot how therapeutic pets can be. I haven't had any pets for about 4 years. Maybe I'll try meditation another time. I've been hanging out with this cat for over an hour now.

- Matt

Zumbafan likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

H, Matt. Your outdoor meditation sounds like it was great, despite the neighbor's loud music (I hate that, too).
    And the cat brought you comforting and love. I have a dog, am allergic to cats. My darling Max is an old-timer now,
    like me. But we still give each other comfort and love.

I sat out front of my house this morning and meditated in the sunshine. It felt great. I did some deep breathing
    and it was very relaxing.

MSZ812 likes this.
  3. Stella

Stella Well known member

I have been meditating now for 5 years. It is one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I recently saw Davidji give a presentation on meditation. He discussed RPM = rise, pee and meditate. I do it immediately as he suggests. On youtube he has an 8 minute meditation. You can put your smartphone by your pillow and listen. I thought it was just great. Search for him on youtube.

There are so many different ways to meditate. Being a perfectionist I wanted to fine the "one" correct way. I have since found there are many ways. I incorporate diaphragmatic breathing with mine (belly breathing). When participating in this program as the pain was diminishing and leaving it was replaced by anxiety which I understand is very common. The meditation and diaphragmatic breathing helped to ease and eliminate that symptom without ever taking any mediation.

Welcome, Matt, to any amazing journey.

MSZ812 and Ellen like this.
  4. lighthouse15

lighthouse15 New Member

Matt

One of the key steps in setting yourself up for a mindful meditation session is before you gently move your focus to the breath, you sit and let sounds come to you. Observe your reaction to the sounds. This is key and is a technique applied to other aspects of meditation such as when uncomfortable emoitions or sensations arise during meditation. Observation of your reaction to these emotions and physical sensations. you can even apply this to your pain - take a step back and observe you conscious reaction to it. The key to my healing to date has been my awareness. Meditation gives you the clarity and awareness which will help you in recovery.

MSZ812 likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi again, Matt. Stella and lighthouse gave you wonderful replies about mindful meditation.

Deep breathing really helps me. I get to sleep much faster now when I do deep breathing,
    especially the 4-7-8 yoga method.

MSZ812 likes this.