1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 6 Meditation

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by SSG, Aug 30, 2014.

1. SSG

SSG Peer Supporter

Hi. Today I started the meditation recommended by the SEP. It went ok until my son yelled from the shower..."will you bring me some soap!!!???" So I had to end a little early. I have meditated a little before using Dr. Schubiner's CD from Unlearn Your Pain. It is a guided meditation, and today was more on my own. The main difficulty I seem to have is the deep breathing. I tend to take shallow breaths, and I don't think they always effect way down in to my stomach. It seems when someone tells me to focus on my breathing, then my breathing become erratic and not natural. I'm hopeful that with time...it will get better.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

SSG, how are you doing now cause I know with time it gets better, you should be doing great by now, let me know. I can offer any advice you need. I just got done moving but I'm done now and will be around more.
    Bless you

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

For deep breathing, imagine your stomach filling with air like a balloon as you breathe in through your nose. Hold for a few comfortable seconds
    and then exhale through your mouth (the exhale should be a little longer than the inhale).

Hope this helps. It's not how we normally breathe, but it's the best way, to get more oxygen in us that can be profoundly relaxing.

4. angelic333

angelic333 Peer Supporter

Dear SSG,
    Usually when I meditate I don't try to force myself to breathe in a certain way. I will breathe naturally and start by just noticing the breath, feeling the slightly cooler air at the edge of the nostrils as I breathe in and the slightly warmer air as I breathe out. After a short time I will feel more relaxed and the breathing naturally becomes more of a deep belly breath. Also, I let my consciousness follow the breath in and out which keeps me from distraction. Once settled into the breathing I will imagine breathing in pure white light with the inhale, sending that light anywhere in the body that has discomfort, and breathing out any dis-ease with the exhale. It can be helpful to think of breathing out the dis-ease as black smoke.
    This is a simple breathing meditation that I practice daily and I find it very helpful in relieving pain. No stress to breathe any particular way and no worry about doing it wrong! It is just following and focusing on your natural breath, which happens all the time, even when sleeping!
    Keep at it! All good stuff!
    Angel

SSG likes this.