1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 6 Meditation

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jamesknelson, Aug 9, 2013.

1. jamesknelson

jamesknelson New Member

I had a go at the meditation today, however I found myself getting stuck, as I didn't really feel like I could relax my head. If I let go of tension in one part of my head/neck, it suddenly appears somewhere else. I wonder if it is best to just not worry about the remaining tension after a while and move on to other parts of the body, or whether it is best to just focus on the parts with tension? Does anybody have any hints?

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

You might want to check out the meditation entitled "Mindfulness" led by Dr Howard Schubiner on the CD enclosed inside the jacket of his book, Unlearn Your Pain. Dr Schubiner leads you through feeling each section of your body while remaining detached from the sensations you're experiencing. It's linked to the section of the book that's also entitled "Mindfulness". In answer to your question, I think what you do during this meditation is to notice all areas of your body - feet, legs, hips, back, shoulders, arms, neck, head etc - but to not focus anymore on an area with symptoms than the areas without them. Notice them without judgment and then just let the sensations go. Easier said than done, right? Takes a lot of practice, but is well worth the effort.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

You can also lie down if you like - it's much easier to relax if you are prone (the name in yoga for this position is Corpse). And if you go to sleep for a bit, don't worry about it. You'll get there in time.