1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Meditation

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ellie freegan, Jun 8, 2016.

1. ellie freegan

ellie freegan Peer Supporter

I do the Howard Shubiner meditations one of which involves asking the unconscious brain to stop causing pain however especially as I've been doing it for a while and haven't seen any change I find it hard to believe that I can ask the unconscious brain to do something and it will then do it. What are anyone else's experiences or thoughts on this please.

2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi, Ellie. I'd encourage you to read a wide variety of TMS literature. Different people promote different approaches for talking to your subC. Some advocate "yelling" or talking rather sternly, as in "Get the hell out of my _______!" Others take a gentler approach, as in, "I know you think you are protecting me with this pain, but I instead choose to deal with the underlying feelings."
    I've tried the whole gamut! Sometimes the "teacher" tone works for me, other times I go with a more logical or a more loving tone.
    Life's an adventure! Dig in.

3. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

This is my thoughts on that for me it never worked ....it felt more like denial then anything , but it did give me some relaxation to say hey I know what you are doing and I know you are trying to protect me ,,,, but I am safe so stop.
    But don't look for pain relief from it or any other thing this would be trying to heal?

4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

My experience of meditation is to not have expectations from your experience, do not analyse it, question it, or try to understand if it's benefitting you. This is just all inner dialogue. Just realise on a deeper level, physiological change is occurring.

The more often we practice the more focusesed we become, the quicker we heal, the greater sense of connection we feel with self and others.

Remember, reprogramming the subconscious takes time.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    Boston Redsox likes this.
  5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I've had success with telling my brain to stop producing a symptom. I find the tone of a kind but firm parent to be the best. The results are not immediate, but once I shift my attention to something else, then I eventually realize that, hey, the symptom is gone. It always seems like a miracle and a little too easy, but it does work.

mike2014 likes this.