1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Meditation..the right way.

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Freesoul, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Freesoul

Freesoul New Member

I meditated as told in program day 6. I felt calm. But, What I did was, When I allowed a thought to pass by, it only happened so just to start a new thought.
    What's the point of sitting calmly and thinking random thoughts one after the other.
    Am I doing it right or should I try to just focus on my breathing and body parts and say some positive words?

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, concentrate on your breathing and try not to get 'caught up'in the thoughts... They will arrive one after another, but try and just let them be, don't get caught up into giving them attention . It does seem a bit odd at first - because we have so many ! But as time goes by they are easier to 'let go' of and we get to feel the space between ... Which can be very restful and healing.
    If you think about it (oops!) we start thinking when we wake up and then just carry on in an endless way until we drop off to sleep.... A rest from that is good - like a little mental holiday...
    If you get fed up - try mindfulness instead - just sit quietly (somewhere outdoors/peaceful) is good. Then close your eyes and just use one sense at a time. So maybe listen exclusively what exactly can you hear - don't pay any attention to anything else other than listening, bird song, traffic, voices, rustling trees, a clock ticking.. Then repeat with your sense of smell, then your sense of touch - lovely to be outside for that as a breeze is beautiful when you are concentrating solely on that... By doing this it brings you into the present moment. It is only when you do this that you realise just how much we spend our time In the past, looking back, rerunning dramas and situations, and in the present, looking forward at what will happen tomorrow, or next week, or later...
    Meditation does take time, so does mindfulness - but you are worth that time....don't you agree!,

Freesoul, JanAtheCPA and Sita like this.
  3. Freesoul

Freesoul New Member

Thank you for the great insight. I did as you suggested and though I know that I did drift little here and there but I think I am on the right track.