1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Meditation, Mindfulness, Guided Imagery, Self-Hypnosis, Breathing (newbie)

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by cax, Jan 12, 2016.

1. cax

cax New Member

Question about - Meditation, Mindfulness, Guided Imagery, Self-Hypnosis, Breathing, etc.

I have tried some online Guided Meditation, and do find some helpful at relaxing or quieting the mind.

Wanted to get others thoughts on what works?
    • After listening multiple times - I sometimes just get bored, sleepy, or wandering mind.
    • Don't really have time (or focus) to do sessions longer than 20 minutes (prefer 10-15).
    • Would like to progress through levels - getting more skilled at meditation and ultimately feeling less pain.
    • Think visualization might help, but not sure how to visualize healing of my back, feet, etc.
    Anyone have suggestions on what works and where to begin to proceed?

Thank you.

2. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Mindfulness/meditation is something I'm working on as well. The only advice I can give is do what you can it can't be forced. Like you I am doing anywhere from 5-15 minutes. I go on YouTube to find videos to guide me. It's a practice. Practice is the key.

Visualization is seeing yourself how you want to be. Seeing it as if it is the present moment. Learning to phrase your thoughts in present time. Perhaps write a list of affirmations. Something like "my back is strong and flexible" "My body is calm and relaxed" "I live moment to moment"
    Google affirmations for a good feeling body, quiet mind and see what resonates with you. Write them down, read them to start your day and anytime you are feeling doubtful. Perhaps end your day before sleep reading them as well.

Hope this helps.

Simplicity likes this.
  3. KevinB

KevinB Well known member

I like this one - it's short (10 min.), practical, and I find the voice soothing.

Simplicity and Susan1111 like this.
  4. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Kevin I use this one too!!!

KevinB likes this.
  5. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I posted this in another thread, I think it's pretty neat.
    ~

I've only been meditating for the last two months or so. Prior to that I would listen to guided meditations on and off, but I never really committed to it. I'm doing a combination of guided meditations, calming music/nature sounds two times a day now for 15 minutes, while focusing on my breathing. I also do Mindful Nature Walking - when I'm done with the session I usually sit in silence and watch/listen to the surroundings.

I want to learn more and to become better at it, as well!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2016